JVC TT 71: buy now for spare for my or TT81?

Both are quartz locked.  Any reasons to prefer a TT81 to a TT71?

I am thinking of making an offer on a JVC TT71 to have as a spare spinner if my current TT81 develops bad habits (TT81 is in my large plinth with 3 arms now).

Asking $399. Thinking of paying $350.

1 hr from me, I would pick it up. It's 120v model, that would eliminate the 120/100 transformer my 100v TT81 needs.
elliottbnewcombjr
Elliot, I am not sure what you meant, but if your interest in a TT71 is based on its fitting your TT81 plinth, I do believe a TT101 would also fit a plinth made for TT81.  Of course, the factory plinth for TT101 (to be found included with a TT101, along with a Victor tonearm, in the package known as QL10) might be a bit better than an OEM TT81 plinth, but I really don't know that for sure.  Anyway, if what you want is an inexpensive back-up turntable for your TT81, sure, the TT71 would be fine.  You either want it or you don't.  It's not a matter of anyone's opinion.
best-groove, I feel the same way as you regarding the build quality and really like that substantial motor. I'm not sure but I think the TT71 and the TT81 use the same motor. I think the TT81 has upgraded electronics.
As far as the switches go, I'm fond of the touch switches. The TT61 that I had for a short time used the mechanical switches and I just thought they were OK but the touch switches seemed to be a step up. Plus there are no contacts to get dirty.
BillWojo
@billwojo I'm not sure but I think the TT71 and the TT81 use the same motor. 

he has never had a TT81 to make a comparison with the TT71 so I don't say anything, but I deduce that to save on scale production ... yes .... the TT 81 "could" have the same engine.