Recapturing my youth

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and my first pair of speakers were Boston Acoustics A-40s. I always lusted for a pair of the big floor standing models. When I was in HS, my band director had a pair of Snell As with the electronic crossover driven by a Hafler 500. It blew me away and can be credited with starting my journey into audio. 

I have a primary 2-channel system in my main listening room. We’re renovating the family room and it will have a 2-channel system for the TV. I was thinking of getting some classic speakers for the new room and either buy them already restored or fix up some that I get a deal on. I live outside of Boston, so there are lots of resources for both BA and Snell parts and used speakers in the area. Any suggestions about the best way to go about this? Am I likely to be sonically disappointed by well restored speakers from this era? I’m assuming at minimum there will be new foam surrounds and capacitors in my future. I’m thinking about one of the floor standing models from Boston Acoustics or Snell that were shaped like the UN building. LOL. 
Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
128x128spacecadet65
Snell Type A's are your best choice! I have a pair I got from the original owner in Connecticut. They came from Audiocom in Old Greenwich - a store I once worked at! I paid $400 + $400 shipping to Florida. Four large boxes shipped USPS. All arrived safely! They are still in storage here. I assume I will have to replace the woofer surrounds.
The Snell Type A's are competitive with any of today's over-priced four and five- figure speakers!
What is your budget for speakers?

There are new speakers available that have the look your after. 

A pair of Wharfedale Lintons with matching stands cost $1500. 

I own a pair of Tannoy Sterlings which are beautiful, course they retail at $6000.
I figure $1200-$1500 is about as far as I'll go with purchase, repairs, and shipping.

I think for me it's about the speakers I aspired to own as a kid. Growing up in Massachusetts (and eventually being the Ad and PR Manager for Acoustic Research in the 1980s) it's about the local speakers. BA, Snell, ADS, Allison, etc. There are a pair of "restored" Snell C speakers on the North Shore for sale right now. 

It's a waiting game and I need to be ready when the right speakers become available...

G
If the price is right - and they are nearby - the Snell C's could be the way to go!