APL NWO2.5 ?

Though I'm not able to hear this player, I'm about to take the plunge......
Is it as good as some audiophiles claim ?
peterb
I`m not so lucky as to own a NWO-2.5 but I got one of the first NWO-2s and even that one crushes the Meridian 808 players hands down in all aspects.
The apl players are very nice indeed but you folks are being very milseading by saying it crushes the Meridian 808. There is no digital playback made that can do that period. The machine comes with a factory 5 year warranty to back it up, is upgradable when necessary and is truely amazing. I have the Apl nwo-2 and it is a great player but it doesn't hold a candle to the meridian. I have yet to hear any digital playback that is able to extract so much information from a cd than this player. I wish people would say more accurate responses when someone needs their help. There are way to many variables to consider when asked this question to compare players. Many times stores don't have their equipment set up right in order to do a fair a/b comparison. I will give you a case in point. I went to my local store who sells Mcintosh, ayre, meridian,dcs,wadia, and esoteric to name a few and I wanted to compare some cd players in the identical setup I have at home. Well for one, he had the mcintosh mc501 monos plugged in a normal outlet together. No dedicated lines (very necessary)and regular cheap speaker wire from the 70's. I wanted to buy the ayre c5xe, meridian 808,wadia 861 se( which I still have)esoteric xo1 limited, and the po3/d03 combo, as well as the dcs separtes, but I couldn't really hear that much of a difference. So I took them all home as demos. I have owned all of these units after this test at one point and now only have the meridian and the nwo-2. I was able to take all these home for a week and demo them and I will say that they all were significantly better in my system because of the way it is set up and were all good players and all quite unique in their own way. I could totally hear a significant difference between players. The meridian will rock your world. I have friends and family who come over all the time and when I had the 808 hooked up everyone thought I got a new stereo. It truely changed my system and bought it to another level. Hope this helps you out. It is very important to try everything in you setup. Also realize that the other components must be able to allow you to hear differences otherwose it is very hard to discern between digital playback.
Hi Optarchie,

It is very important to try everything in you setup. Also realize that the other components must be able to allow you to hear differences otherwose it is very hard to discern between digital playback.

I totally agree with you that the best way to evaluate a particular component is in a properly set up system consisting of sufficiently resolving components and in your own familiar listening room. I would add that proper acoustical room treatment/correction is also essential because poor room acoustics could camouflage both strenghts and weaknesses of a component. And in my humble opinion, it's best to evaluate a component over a long period of time. In the links I provided in my post above, it is made clear that several of the reviewers owned both the NWO and the particular top-tier players they were comparing it with (including Meridian 808 Signature, EMM Signature combo, Zanden, dCS stack, Spectral SDR4000S, Reimyo). It is also clear that those comparisons where done in state-of-the-art systems. These comparisons were NOT done in dealer showrooms or on a short term loan from a dealer. Therefore, your blanket implications to the contrary are not true. To let them stand without a correction would be irresponsible. It is one thing to express your opinion about equipment, it is quite another to falsely imply that those audiophiles with their state-of-the-art systems were negligent in their comparison tests. Perhaps, your lack of knowledge of the details was due to your not being able to use the above links since, for some reason, they got truncated. Should you request, I can provide those links in a private email.

I wish people would say more accurate responses when someone needs their help.

Amen!

Judging by the calibre of the digital sources you auditioned (Ayre CX-5e, dCS separates, Wadia 861se, Esoteric X-01 Limited and the P-03/D-03 combo), you are obviously a very devoted audiophile. The fact that the NWO-2.0 and the Meridian 808 are the only digital sources that now remain in your system suggests to me that, except for your opinion on the 808, you agree with the reviewers in my links that the NWO is superior to the rest of the top-tier players you heard. The difference of opinion on the 808 can perhaps be attributed to individual preferences/systems. It's great that you have found a player that satisfies your taste preferences and is synergistic with your system. Congratulations! You are entitled to express your opinions about your equipment as you have done. For example:

The apl players are very nice indeed but you folks are being very milseading by saying it crushes the Meridian 808. There is no digital playback made that can do that period.

I have the Apl nwo-2 and it is a great player but it doesn't hold a candle to the meridian.

It appears that you are of the opinion that no digital playback can crush the Meridian 808 but the 808 can crush other digital players. I attribute this extreme opinion to your youthful exuberance for your new toy. By the way, you didn't mention if you have heard the NWO-2.5, the successor to your 2.0. Those who heard both the 2.5 and the 2.0, claim the 2.5 crushes the 2.0 (see the links in my previous post). If you do hear the 2.5, let us know your impressions.

Best Regards,
John