Hearing aids for audiophiles.

I’ve chosen to walk away from the sirens, horns, gunshots heading both directions, and all the damage it’s done (doing) to my hearing.  Through the miracle of hearing aids I’d like to bring back my hearing as close as possible to my youth mostly for the purposes of accurate and full tonal musical listening, and then, of course, to hear the voices of my loved ones better.  To those of you who’ve gone down this road, what are recommended brands and non-recommended brands, as well as any pitfalls to be aware of?  Costs and sizes are factors also.  Thanks,
Bob
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xanotherbob
Oticon, behind the ear. Best "upgrade" to my system and life. I don't understand why people try to fix their hearing by messing with their system, proper hearing aids are WAY better!

+Widex - The Apple AirPod Pro may have software, but so does Widex. The audiologist sets the hearing aids to augment the frequencies your hearing test indicates need boost. You can customize the balance and there is a tone control for bass, midrange and treble. Also, using the Soundsense Learn function you can let the software suggest alternatives and create customized settings for different kinds of music. But all of this is moot to the extent that none of these products can restore your original hearing at the highest frequencies (above about 10k Hz). For me they made a material improvement to the frequencies above 3k Hz, where my hearing loss began. I now hear cymbals and similar sounds that were not audible until I got the hearing aids. If the Apple AirPods can effect the same improvement, great. But they are larger than hearing aids. The Widex products are far more costly at $4k or more per pair. 
I have had the Widex Moment MRR2D for about 6 months. Yes they are expensive but so is a new preamp and it can't help you hear your grandkids. The Moments are excellent but I don't like the Music Mode that comes with the top end model. It's sounds to electronic to me.  I use the PureSound turned down to a low setting and it is enjoyable.  Often, though, I just turn them off for music even though my hearing is 50db down at 2k and above.  I also use the Roon EQ in moderation. An inverse curve with just 5 -10 db boost is helpful. Anything more is counterproductive. It's all worth a try to help keep the music flowing.    
It is entirely possible to boost higher frequencies with Audyssey provided your equipment is capable of communicating with the phone app.

As an example, the curve editor could be set with a flat response to say 2k at -5dB and then 10k set to +10dB. That's at listening level of 0dB and at lower listening levels Fletcher Munson Curve compensation can be added by implementing Audyssey Dynamic EQ.