A DAC that ought to be better known: RME

I just bought a RME ADI-2 DAC on the recommendation of some technological minded audiophiles on another site and am delighted with the sound quality and price point. It isn’t especially user friendly and the multi page user manual is complicated. Plus the DAC has equalization and a great headphone amp, all in a small package. I always thought the Exogal was a great performer but the RME strikes me as superior, especially considering the significantly lower price. I listen to a lot of chamber music and it conveys the timbre of the string instruments exceptionally well. Plus, for the first time in a long while I can actually read the screen and see what’s happening. If anyone out there is looking for a DAC this is worth at least investigating. 
128x128rtorchia
rtotchia

I run my RME balanced out and others with a balanced preamp or amp should do the same, if their other components are truly a balanced design. You should notice a lower noise floor. When you compare the two cables, try doing it at a fairly low listening level getting the the level matched the best you can. I find running balanced I can listen at lower levels and it’s still as enjoyable. You really need two of the same cable to do a fair comparison, but I have had great results with even Canare balanced IC’s.
FYI for all RME adi 2 FS and Pro owners.   RME recently released new firmware 35/35 for the DAC.   It supposedly lowers jitter on SPDIF coax and OPT inputs,  more accurate meter response and easier preset loading.   

Update was super easy via USB....took about 30 seconds. Reboot and the firmware version 35 will appear at startup on the RME display .  

Nothing better than free enhancements after you buy something.   
Thanks for the info. I have been using the RME with a VTV Purifi Eval amp and have been delighted to this up update will be good.