Clear vinyl vs. regular black vinyl

I just got my second clear vinyl record yesterday, the Stones Hot Rocks on 180g, not from any special manufacturer like MFSL or Analogue Productions and the like. The first one was Donald Fagen Sunken Condos. These albums sound particularly good for not being pressed by a "special" audiophile label.

Is this just a coincidence or is it better, and if so, why aren't more records produced this way? I heard that eliminating the dye in the vinyl could improve the sound, but I was wondering if there is a consensus out there. 

I'm not talking about other dye colors or ones with pictures on them, just plain clear vinyl.

Thanks.
sokogear
Well, to expound on my previous comments and to address your question “why would Miles play on a newcomer’s record?”:

Not uncommon at all. Cannonball was a rising star, not to mention member of Miles’ own band and was being heavily promoted. By some accounts it was Cannonball who received the invitation from Bluenote to record an album and that it was Cannon who then picked the band. It is not unusual for a high profile leader to play on a solo effort by one of his sidemen. Moreover, Miles was under contract with Columbia and Cannon was not under contract with any label. Why wouldn’t Columbia simply release another Miles record? Why wouldn’t Miles use his working sextet and why would he record with a different rhythm section and ask only one member of his band to play? Seems like bad politics. Leonard Feather points out that the title tune “Somethin Else” which was written by Miles is an expression of praise for Cannonball.

“He didn’t play on any of Trane’a records”

Probably because, unlike Cannonball, Trane didn’t ask him. Trane and Miles didn’t have a great personal relationship. In fact. Miles fired Trane at one point.

Lastly and probably most importantly and telling, to me, SE sounds nothing like KOB. Constantly changing musical chameleon that he was, Miles had moved to a modal style by then. KOB is the groundbreaking and best example of modal Jazz, while the material on SE is much more traditional with most of the tunes being standards which is a style much closer to home for Cannonball.

I guess we’ll never know for sure, but interesting to speculate; but that is where I put my money.  No matter how the record really came about, we’re lucky that it did.  

Regards.

Btw. in my previous post I mistakenly referred to Miles’ band as a quintet. Obviously, it was a sextet.
@frogman - you know a lot more about this than topic than I do. I had always heard it was a label contract issue. Your explanation/theory makes sense, but I am still keeping it in my Miles albums alphabetically and his rotation, and even though the songs are a different style, it still sounds unmistakably like a Miles album. And we are lucky it happened. I can’t find it currently available on 45 with clarity vinyl or regular vinyl. I really like 45s- they definitely sound better (all things being equal). I’m sure it was sold out.
And Miles’ band for the excellent group of records recorded in the prolific session which produced Relaxin’, Cookin’, Steamin’ & Workin’ were all with the Miles Davis Quintet (those were the titles)  so you were correct. Only KOB was the sextet with 2 guys on sax. I think his other hard bop albums were all quintets as well.
Have a few clear albums for collecting!

I usually buy the black as well,to listen to and record to cd!

I’ve found the colored records, and pic discs sound horrible, and are meant for collecting, not “listening” to

"Donald Fagen was a fanatic about the recording and production process"

Donald is alive and well.  It is 9 years since he released a record but his fans live in hope.

Clear vinyl started off as a gimmick.  Does anyone have evidence that its make-up confers advantage over the black recipe with carbon?  The few I have don't sound better.
Sokogear, always good to trade thoughts and opinions with another lover of the music. You make a great point when you say it sounds like a Miles record. I think that’s a testament to the greatness of Miles and what an incredibly powerful and individualistic voice he was. One of those players that after only a couple of notes, sometimes just one, we know its Miles. 

Some interesting reading:

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/tvd-celebrates-blue-note-records-at-75/2014/05/graded-on-a-curve-can...

A couple more favorite Cannonball records.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0q2VleZJVEn_kkOwG3C-ycoanfhFPuA1

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7gp579CMkT8mSJYYyH9pVeXTS3h01Q2p