Can Magnepan survive Wendell Diller?

I bought my first set of Magnepans in 1976, and I currently have a pair of 1.7i's.

It is difficult for me to upgrade to the 3.7i's because their are so many things that the company can do to improve their product that they simply won't offer; upgraded crossover components, a solid wood/rigid frames and better stands are examples.

Other companies are now doing this, but Magnepan always says Wendell doesn't think that is a good idea.

Can a man who suggests using lamp cord for his speaker line really have that much control over an otherwise unique technological approach to speaker design? I must be missing something obvious when a product is hand assembled in MN and any of these upgrades would, in my mind, warrant factory upgrades. Who wouldn't spend an extra $1k for a 1.7i with a hardwood frame and an upgraded x-over? Adding a ribbon tweeter to the 1.7i would warrant an additional $1k, still bringing them in $2k under the 3.7i.

Is it common for one person to hold an entire company back in high end audio? 
128x128william53b
Post removed 
"...I doubt lows sens ever makes a come back..."

It never went away. Big panels take big power. 
He does not design anything at Magnepan.
This is false, Wendell does not take credit for designing anything at Magnepan but he is intimately involved with the design regardless.

It sounds to me like the OP would rather obsess over the shortcomings of someone who has worked tirelessly to promote what is a highly niche product that very few individuals I have met are even willing to consider taking the proper approach to implementing in the first place, than to realize that it's a miracle a brand like Magnepan is even still around given the plethora of available loudspeaker technologies out there.

Obsessing over things like why the crossover parts aren't different/better is just another reason why Magnepan has failed to reach a broader market. The product attracts hobbyists and tweakers who think they can take a $2,000 retail speaker and improve upon it instead of just looking at a better approach to their HiFi in the first place.

The issue with Magnepan isn't Wendell, it's Magnepan. Most affluent consumers of HiFi simply aren't interested in a speaker that looks like an obelisk from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, requires a Hoover Dam to run properly, and need to be six feet away from a wall to sound any good in most rooms. The few that are, are few and far between.

If anything Wendell is the lifeblood that has kept that corner of the HiFi world alive and if you appreciate it (I certainly do) one might realize just how wacky one has to be to consider purchasing a system given the profile I've outlined above. I'm quite surprised they even sold 50 pairs of 30.7's if that is to be believed.
@ironlung,

First, I reserve the right to bitch about what I want to where I want to. I'll never ring you up to see if you approve before hand.

We have gone over, ad nauseum, what Wendell does and does not do for the company. He mostly tells customers and retailers no. As in no, we don’t really want to hear what you think about our product. Doesn’t matter if it's an end user or retailer.

Being a Magnepan owner/s we reserve the right to discuss whether the company offering upgrades to customers has any merit. While some people have not read the discussion the fact of the matter is that other speaker manufacturers are now doing that, so dreaming that the company may some day do this when Wendell stops saying "No" is a dream we can hold in our hearts.

Offering upgrades does not affect the base price model for cost conscious buyers, only affecting those of us that are bats enough to buy a speaker that has to be repeatedly pushed and pulled from a wall without acceptable handholds to do that.

And they don't even include white gloves...
If there is truly a demand for tweaked out Magnepan speakers, why hasn’t a third party company seized the opportunity?