Why don't more recordings have soundstage outside of speakers

I always enjoy it when the recording has mixing that the instruments are well outside of the speakers.  I think it's really cool and what justifying spending extra dollars for the sound.  I just wish more recordings would do that.  Most of them would just have the sound from in between the speakers.

What are some of your favorite recordings that have an enveloping soundstage well outside of the speakers?
andy2
If you get a very wide soundstage with some recordings, you know your system can do it. We are all at the mercy of the recording engineers. Most recordings are just so-so. 
Happy Listening!
From what i have heard only the bet recording have sound that extends way beyond the speakers but what i have noticed the most is that they are always mixed by the same engineers or on the same labels even mono albums can have an enveloping sound when well done. Try some command records or some 1988 to 2000 rock records mixed by bob ludwig or masterdisc.
Mahgister, I am all for creativity. My greatest improvements in sound quality have come from thinking about it and making adjustments. The only caveat is that these adjustments are not made entirely on what I hear but on accurate measurements. 
mijostyn i have anything against measurement....In electronic design they are the ground on which some standards can be built upon, and the are indications for the designer...
In acoustic i dont need them at all ....

My acoustic settings are perfect for my ears.... It takes a lot of time almost 3 months but it has been only fun.... Each few days i improved.... Now i had some music test file i know very well, each one of them with an instrument, orchestra, or voices i know well....

When all sound natural the puzzles is in placed solved....

Is your puzzle solved at all audible level for all timbre of any instrument with holographic 3-D in classical and well recorded jazz albums ? When the recording make it possible with voice or instrument coming on the side or the back?

Is your speakers better than 7 headphones on all count?

The mechanical equalizer is so poweerful that my "not ideal" position for the speakers is compensated for so well that this does not disturb me....

A 13 feet square room is not ideal one with one of the speaker in a corner..... Try to equalize that....

I use pressure distrubution zones and marked out pressure zones coming from tweeter and bass driver to pilot the direct waves with the reflections for each ear....

You cannot do that.....modification of the speakers response cannot be mechanical modifications of the room response....I modify the room for the speakers NOT the speakers for the room only .... And i modify also the speakers for the room but i dont use a narrow frequency response but a relatively large one.....

My solution is not esthetical and not for a living room anyway...

Certainly someone very crafty can design this to be a modern scupture grid but i am not crafty just imaginative...

Anyway i apologize for my rant and i wish you the best....
I'll play Devil's advocate.

Recent quote from another audiophile website:

"There is no home speaker on earth that is 'worth' $5,000 for sonic properties. Sure you can gold plate and shine everything but it won't change the sound. If companies had to be honest about engineering and manufacturing costs, the high-end industry would collapse on itself. It's all about marketing to people that have more money (and/or gullibility) than the average consumer. Just look at "high end" cables & wires to see the phenomenon in full effect."