Unidisk SC vs. VSEI modded Sony for SACD?

Has anyone compared these players? I was considering modding my 9000es (vsei level 5) and keeping the Ikemi for redbook, but now I'm wondering what other options are there that would include selling the Ikemi and 9000es and allocating a $3000-3600 budget for a used SACD/redbook player that does each outstandingly well (IMO would have to be outstanding to better the Ikemi in redbook). Some options I'm looking at, aside from vsei modding the 9000es as described above, are getting a Linn Unidisk SC which I know would beat the stock 9000es in SACD and redbook, but I'm concerned that I would be spending so much for a Linn player whose redbook is just on par with the Ikemi. In that case there would be no point in selling the latter, and simply mod the 9000es. Other options I'm considering are pickin up a used SCD-777es and have that vsei modded (for a total of around $2500-3000 for the level 5 vsei and stock scd-777es). I'm considering the latter option because the SCD-777es transport seems to be (from what I;ve read) a better foundation upon which to build than the 9000es, whose transport is not as solid as that of the Ikemi's.

So there's the modding of a Sony 9000es or 777es, or possibly a one box stock solution such as the Unidisk SC, which brings up the usual questions regarding its SACD and redbook.

I'm mainly interested in the most outstanding SACD, but not unless the redbook is also in the ballpark of the Ikemi. I listen mainly (~75%) to classical and about 25% classic jazz and rock combined.

Any help greatly appreciated.
tedd1
However I should stress the point that redbook on the unmodded 9000es is nowhere near as good as on the Ikemi. It has a decent redbook sound, don't get me wrong, but one more expected of a DVD player that retailed for $1500 six years ago. The Ikemi is truly special IMO for presenting redbook with a finesse that, in the right system, makes one question the limitations of 16/44. I agree with all the reviews regarding the Ikemi's refined and extended top end, defined yet slightly lean bass (my preference for classical and jazz), and overall musical presentation. I'll definitely miss that Linn player - even my gf was sad to see it go - but we (I say 'we' because she's an amateur classical musician who over time, long after I gave up trying to get her excitied about audiophile stuff, found that she had unwittingly become a bit of an audiophile nonetheless) feel the VPI Scoutmaster (paid for in full with the proceeds of the Ikemi sale) with the Lyra Helikon cartridge (bought lightly used - a chunk more $$$) and the Ear834p Deluxe phono preamp (ditto) has proved so far to be an excellent sonic upgrade over the Ikemi. Of course there's the problem that the TT won't play Cd's but we're working on that.... Which is where the future plan to mod the Sony comes in...right now I'm trying to forget my moderately sized classical redbook collection, yet know that someday something in the form of a sony mod or outboard redbook DAC may help those discs shine anew. Then there's the slight problem of us not having any loudspeakers, since I sold them to get the phono cartridge -so we're making do with a couple pairs of stax electrostat 'earspeakers' fed by a stax vintage tube amp. Ach..audiotrap
Thanks again for the explanation. When I auditioned the ikemi and Meridian 588, didn't like the linn right away. But after two days of listening I ended up returning the meridian to my dealer. After the linn purchase, I listened to ayre cx7 and wondered if I made the right choice. However, The more I played the linn the more I start to appreciate the ikemi sound. Piano and female voice are articulated very accuratly, and to be honest the bass didnt bother at me at all (I would say it has tight bass as oppose to lean). but, the lower midrange is slightly analytical. I wish it has more brass on some saxophone recordings. and since I also listen to some acid jazz that aren't recorded properly, the lean midrange is somewhat accentuated. These are minor cons, and have no plans to change my ikemi.

Anyway, I have very few classical recordings, but since my gf listens to them alot, I'm starting to appreciate it more. Your positive review of both 9000ES and classical SACDs made me take the plunge. Once I bought a used ES, I'll start building my classical recordings. Maybe you can give me a short recommendation list of which recordings to buy. BTW, I bought a Sarah Chang CD (my first classical purchase in 2 years), and was really amazed at her skill. The music was a bit too hardcore for me though ... (Shostakovich/Prokofiev).
Thanks again...
I listed pretty much all my favorite classical SACDs above (my collection is still small), but of those I would say get the Rite of Spring (Paavo Jaervi conducts, on Telarc), the Brahm violin sonatas mentioned above (performances are stellar, and sound is very good to excellent for sacd), Beethoven Trios (Freddy Kempf Trio, some of the most delicate yet tight phrasing I've heard), and the Telarc Classical SACD sampler 2 (to give you a great taste of 'what's out there').

The unmodded 9000es may not be perfect, but for what it costs used, you can't go wrong, and anyway you;'d always be able to sell it since units in great condition from trustworthy sellers aren't all that easy to find.