REVEL Salon2s - What Amp is needed? Subs needed?

I am considering the purchase of Revel Salon2s, assuming that wife will approve. (Decorator is also involved. UGH)

To play rock at medium levels, what amp would you recommend? (Hopefully not crazy expensive). I have two 20 year old Krell mono amps. Good enough?

Is a sub woofer necessary (hope not) ?

In a room with lots of glass and hard surfaces, would you recommend a sound processor, and if so which one(s)? Or maybe an equalizer?

Thanks for your thoughts
jimmymac928
The Krell amps will work just fine, assuming they work just fine. If they haven't been back to Krell for a tune-up in those 20 years you may find they are no longer up to spec. The Salon 2s like powerful amps, but any Krell will likely drive them satisfactorily for medium-level rock, as you say.

I doubt you'll need a sound processor. I have lots of glass too, and I'm fine without one. I do run the Salon 2 tweeters one notch lower than center on the level control in the connector box on the back.

Depending on your room and the placement of the speakers you may not need a subwoofer. The Salon 2 has great bass response. In my room the best positions for imaging stunk for bass, so I got a Velodyne DD18+ and I've been beyond thrilled. Ecstatic is more like it. The combination is to die for. You'll need a subwoofer with a high-pass filter or an active crossover like the Bryston SUB10 with to roll-off the bass at about 60Hz to the Salon 2 woofers. If your decorator is involved you could use two small 12" sealed subs, like the SVS SB13-Plus, and place them behind the Salon 2s. The SB13's are nice because they're powered and have a high-pass filter.
Irv has given you some great advice, I use a Velodyne DD15 , but I would run the Revels full range to avoid sending the signal through another crossover network.
Ahh... but Koestner, you can have your cake and eat it too! At least if your're willing to use two stereo amps and your speaker supports bi-amping. The Salon 2s do. Here's what I do. Buy a Y-cable for each pre-amp channel to split the signal. Run one output from each channel directly into one of the amp channels, and use those amplifiers (which are running a full-range signal) into the mid-tweeter section of the speakers. Run the other side of each Y-cable into the subwoofer(s), and run the filtered (high-pass) output into the other amp channels, using those to drive the main speaker's woofer sections. This is best done by vertically bi-amping each speaker with an identical stereo amp. The OP has monoblocks, but this the best way to use subwoofers with the Salon 2s.
I dunno, James, the sub sure did improve my Salon 2 set up. I can't imagine a music system without a sub now that I have one.