Turntables.....A point of diminishing returns?

This post is sure to elicit many opinions. Everyone knows that a good audio system is a series of building blocks. Amps, speakers, cables, etc. To find the weakest block in any system can be a challenge to make a particular system sound as good as possible given the funds on hand. Almost anything can be improved upon. But, where does it end? There seems to be a point that an audio system, thru improvements, is about as good as it will sound. At least to the owner.
   No end to opinions about analog sound. Tables, carts, cables, amps, setup, and others. With all the renewed interest in vinyl, many are looking to optimize their current setup and others are content with what they have. Congrats to those. Other than looking at this as just a hobby, at what point does one just say...that's all my system is capable?
   I say this because in the audio world there is almost no limit as to how much money can be spent on equipment. If you fit into that category, I am envious. "Oh..Look at what this costs". But, as far as sound goes, is there really any tremendous benefit to spending mega dollars on equipment? I single out turntables because it's one of pieces that can demand those big dollars. One who can afford expensive tables probably has the funds for other expensive components.
   Look at this table. For $650k I wonder if it sounds many times better than the one I have.....
 http://www.dj-rooms.com/avdesignhaus-dereneville-vpm2010/

jrpnde
Hi
Neat system.
Two major improvements: Triplanar arm and LDA Quartz Power Supply.
I bought a Woodsong Garrard 301 with an Ortophon RS 309D which is a Jelco.
The Triplanar makes the Jelco sound like a toy. Worth every penny.
And the Long Dog Audio power supply necessitates a couple of small changes to the 401 but transform the performance of the motor. Designed to work with 220v instead of 110v, the LDA converts the power to 220 and the frequency to 59hz from 60.

You might also consider sending the 401 to Chris at Woodsong Audio to be rebuilt. At least partially.
The responses indicate that most of us, including me, don't understand the question, if any.  How can one say whether that $650,000 pimped up hymn to bad taste is "many times" better than yours, jprnde, given that none of us has a hope of every hearing the thing, let alone do we know what turntable you now use?  I would venture to guess that somewhere inside the $650,000 thing there maybe lurks a good $25,000 turntable; maybe.  The turntables you named (LP12 plus various Rega turntables) are all of the same ilk: lightweight, belt-drive, and British to the core.  Not that that is a bad thing, but some sonic limitations would seem to apply.  There are certainly many many turntables in between those Linn/Rega models and whatever is your own Nirvana.  In other words, what you have can be bettered for a lot less than $650,000, probably at least an order of magnitude less. 
Here’s an interesting video from youtuber VWestlife.

Does a better turntable actually sound any better?

https://youtu.be/-46mrx9lrh4

Personally I’d stop at something like the Technics 1200G if not sooner with the SL1500c.

Even the modest Audio Technica AT- LP 140XP has its fans, including YouTuber Andrew Robinson.

https://youtu.be/Ibi2SJNnr54
Lewm, I agree with you 100%. 

I have a first generation tricked up VPI  Classic 2.7 (sic).  It is actually a basic Classic 1/2 plinth, which I improved.  Many years ago, I switched out the basic 600 rpm motor to a Classic 3 300 rpm motor.  Shortly thereafter, I switched out the tone arm and tone arm base to the Classic 3 stainless steel tone arm and base.

My cartridge is a Lyra Kleos, which works just fine. My electronics are all recent ARC SE suite gear.

I am thinking about switching out my Classic 3 stainless steel tone arm to a 3D tone arm at some point.  No rush though.

In the meantime, I enjoy my system.  Maybe to some, it is sonic swill, but I do not care.  I still love spinning some great vinyl and am happy as a kosher clam.

BIF