members and their systems

for the short time I have been on here, I see that members will start a thread asking about a certain piece of equipment or speakers..       they will then buy that piece of equipment / speakers, start a thread about it saying how good it is and then next thing you know, they are starting another thread asking about another piece of gear as they are looking for something different.           what happened to that piece of gear that was so great ?       
  i get the whole buying thing....but where are members getting the money to do all of this stuff ?       do they not have other bills such as rent / mortgage payment, car payment, other bills to pay for also ?
birdscantrow
Given MC's description of motor mount engineering, the OP might want to change the thread title to "systems and their members."
The wheels in that video are sick. I only wonder what it would cost to replace one if you blow it out. ($5K or more).
Pretty sure they will be at least a $20k option. But, carbon fiber! And remember, this is unsprung weight. I'm also getting PCCB. Together they are probably close to 10 lbs per wheel. 40 lbs might not sound like much but again, unsprung weight! Lighter wheels respond to the road much faster for better handling and a more supple ride. Also the lighter rims are much less mass to spin, so both braking and acceleration improve. Finally, carbon fiber is inherently vibration damping. So a smoother more quiet ride. 

Based on your comments, I guess this is my last car (that only I drive with rare exception). In only put on 5K a year. I'm surprised you didn't mention any GT3s or GT2s. I guess you are talking about cars you can fairly easily find without breaking the bank.

By home run I mean the combination of a whole lot of different factors. The GT cars are always in a league of their own. But so is the Carrera GT. So is the 918. That's not what I mean. Your 997 isn't as fast as any of them, or as rare. But there is a balance of factors that come together to create a certain driving experience. I don't really know how to explain it. The 991 is a much better, faster car. In every way. But there is a special fun factor that your 997 has that the 991 just doesn't. Not saying it is not a great car. Totally is. Just not in the same way. You love your GTS, enjoy it. You will have a hard time finding better. 

Also, at 5k miles a year you will find it is going up in value. If not already then soon. All Porsche cars begin to appreciate at about 12-15 years. Some sooner, but all no matter what stop losing value and start going up like that. My 911SC was very common, depreciated from $25k to around $12k the first 10-12 years. Then started slowly rising. People are silly about these things, they only notice sort of at random. Gosh the market is getting hot they say. When in reality there was a long steady appreciation going on for years. They just don't notice. Until one day the SC is selling for $35-40k, way more than when new, they act like this is so shocking. Look around. See what I'm saying is true. Even the 996 are going up! Guess when that started happening? Around 2015. When the first ones were 15 years old. Just like I said. Right on schedule.   
MC- I have been in PCA for 18 years and am aware of the Porsche depreciation/appreciation curve. I always buy them 3-4 years old certified from a dealer and let the first guy take the $50K depreciation hit. I think with my car it actually happened sooner than normal. Maybe because my car is not real common. It’s not “rare” but certainly not abundant. I didn’t buy It to make $$- I need something to drive and I want the most possible fun. I guess I lucked out.

I also know the value of wheels weight reduction benefits. Even more so with bicycles, although not nearly as pricey. My recent purchase of a fairly basic carbon fiber bike included a wheel &tire upgrade that reduced the weight around 20%.
Porsche 911 has grown, but is still way too tight for a comfortable drive for someone with knees.
True confessions.  I always coveted the original Speedster, but by the time I really thought about buying, Japanese collectors had driven the prices for the desirable examples to over $100k.  So I had a replica built, based on guts from a Beetle.  Even found original 50s gauges for the build (remember JC Whitney?)  Fun, but I eventually felt guilty about running around in a "fake" car.