Definitely lonely to be an audiophile

Today Ricardo Arjona is broadcasting a virtual concert, I know most of you English natives don't care, but let's imagine is someone you like from "these" times, English speaking artist.

The neighbors have a crappy TV streaming the concert, really bad quality, my wife is upstairs watching on TV, really bad as well.

I do like his songs so I'm in my living room listening to his previous Hires records, on my super system, and I can hear next door the TV broadcasting and I'm wondering what the heck, am I crazy, I rather be alone enjoying the sound from previous Hires recordings, than socially sharing that "noise", it does makes me lonely though, I like social interactions, it is who I am, but definitely being an audiophile makes you an outcast. Just another dilemma, acceptance is bliss
Good night everybody

luisma31
I'm not sure the "vast majority" of audiophiles are lonely.  Who can be sure?  There's no research, so everything is anecdotal.  Some are, some aren't.

I've been an "audiophile" for over 45 years and never felt isolated to the point of loneliness; my social life is fine.  I can count on one hand the number of friends I've had who enjoyed listening intently, without conversation.  Most serious listening is solo.  Works for me.

I don't mean to pontificate, but if you're feeling lonely and that obsession with music playback is part of the cause, look inward and ask yourself if you're happy with it.  Some are.  If you're not, you might want to seek more balance.
This whole line of reasoning is beyond my comprehension. I love and listen to the music that appeals to me. ME. I never even remotely considered it a "group" hobby, like a book club. Every single system I have built over many years was for my personal enjoyment. I could care less what anyone else thinks of my system because I built it to make ME happy. If you are pursuing audio nirvana with the goal of pleasing others, you are not an audiophile, you are a wanna be orchestra conductor. I mean, think about it. Why do you think headphones are only made to fit one head at a time?
@afisher
"the vast majority of us audiophiles are on the autistic spectrum. Many of us are capable of limited social interaction and excellent at being flatscreen warriors when the situation calls for it"

I was thinking the exact same thing, in my specific case I am very social (on the outside), on the inside I might be borderline autistic, hard to explain and contradictory I know.

@audioman58
"Maybe you should setup I surround sound setup for your tv
then you can educate the tin 👂 how much better their audio can be."

Noted, that is actually not a bad idea, have the neighbors come over and test them for their inner audiophile.

@keegiam
"I don't mean to pontificate, but if you're feeling lonely and that obsession with music playback is part of the cause, look inward and ask yourself if you're happy with it. Some are. If you're not, you might want to seek more balance."

Thanks for the advice, I think I am happy with it, it is not exactly I am feeling lonely (I know I posted it does make me lonely but not exactly what I meant to say last night), I am feeling fine but good quality music it is something that meant to be shared. It is more of a question to myself if I am ok just listening alone or instead I should "try" to be more social and forget about the obsession, so your comment is right, something to ask myself. I posted because I thought that most of you would relate to the feeling.

@hobo1452
"If you are pursuing audio nirvana with the goal of pleasing others, you are not an audiophile, you are a wanna be orchestra conductor"

LOL, not my case, I enjoy my system without needing to share or please anyone else. thanks for posting
Hi Luis,
Nice thread! 
Many interesting responses and perspectives.
+1 ghdprentice and tomic601 in particular. 
I can attend a jazz club and sit through 2 or 3 sets or listen at home for hours. Very few in my social circle would enjoy this activity.  Understood and no problem. I just love music and the gifted musicians who make it possible. I feel that I'm the fortunate one.
Charles 
Solitary pursuit for sure.

There are a couple of people I can sit and listen to music with, usually followed up with conversation about what was just listened to.

There are others I can share my gear head nerd side with, which is followed up with conversation about what was just listened to.

Mostly, its my cat and myself - and the radio of course. Which currently has Tom Waits playing, so now I have to go find a record and continue that musical thought...