Processor question

Hello all,
    I am considering either a McIntosh MX 123 or an Audio Control Maestro X9. Has anyone heard these processors? Also, do you have a preference of one or the other in a system used for both music and movies?
     Thanks,
           Steven
moag
@moag - yes, it is unfortunate that this is the case.  millercarbon pretty much just copies and pastes the same dang paragraph on every new HT thread topic.  Others also have the same kind of opinions.  Some of these comments do have an element of truth - a dedicated high end 2-channel system can generally indeed have a better result than a multi-channel home theater.  However, that's not the same thing as saying that a multi-chanell HT system will never sound good for music.  I own and also have heard some pretty damn amazing HT systems for music (but also have heard crap).  It all depends on what equipment you buy and attention to things such as power cords / fuses. 

I don't think the MX123 or Maestro would be bad choices at all.  I think they might have a slightly different sonic signature.  The Maestro comes in at 29 lbs, so it's definitely not a light weight device (indicates a good linear power supply and transformer, etc.).  the MX123 is 9 lbs heavier, but you also have that heavy glass front as part of the weight.  That being said, McIntosh MX123 also has excellent power supplies.

If I remember correctly, the MX123 uses the Marantz digital/DSP processing section, but uses McIntosh power supplies and analog output stages.  There's nothing bad about the Marantz digital/DSP section.  Generally, that's not the most important part.

I don't know what your budget is.  If you are looking at purchasing these two options as "new", another option to look at is to find a good used MX160.  The MX160 uses the Lyngdorf digital/DSP section instead and has better results and better configurability.  I think the power supplies and analog stages are also better than MX123.  HT Processors tend to drop in value really fast, so you should be able to find a used MX160 in the $8-10k area (there's one on audiogon now for $9995).  They won't be more than a few years old.
Also, do you have a preference of one or the other in a system used for both music and movies?
Rather than ask what someone else prefers, which may or may not have anything to do with what you like, why not share what sonic characteristics you’re looking for and what’s most important to YOU?  Also would be helpful to know the other equipment in your system.  Is 2-channel music important to you or is this strictly a multichannel setup?  The more info you provide, the more targeted, insightful, and helpful the replies here will be. 

soix...Thanks for responding. Your last question was pre answered. In the OP I stated the processor would be used in a movies and music system. If my question was inarticulate I apologize. Having not heard either piece, I was asking those who may have had experience with one or both to share their opinions. If ancillary equipment was uber important in choosing gear, no one would buy anything, as stores do not have the same equipment as the buyer does. Are you suggesting that people with say Focal Sopra 2's would be better with the McIntosh, but if they have Bowers & Wilkins 803D's the Audio Control would be the best choice? What is most important to ME is having people who have heard or own either of the pieces share their experiences, rather than people telling me only 2 channel is important or even worse, telling me how to ask a question, and what to ask. If my post is too vague for you....please feel free to ignore it.
auxinput....Thank you for responding. The info and opinions expressed were and are helpful! I appreciate the time & effort.
   Steven
There is a fine solution , buying used MX160.(@auxinput)

If you buy new; a nearby dealer should be taken into account .
You may need help with Dirac or Audyssey . Even with the owner manual. It is not convenient to try to make adjustments for these , using the phone or a tablet  with a remote  dealer .