Are Preamplifier’s Relevant Today or just a Hinderance with Digital Playback ?

I’m just curious,.I know from past experiences using a well designed preamplifier can and will make a difference however the computer audio crowd say different with the use of HQplayer with volume control including multiple filters and adjustments in OS mode using a preamplifier is blasphemy to some of them .

What’s your take on this subject? 
Thanks in advance.
128x128in_shore
A good active preamp sounds better emphasis on good. Whether it's impedance matching or gain related or something else it just sounds better.
The overwhelmingm audiophile consensus is still yes to a preamp. In occasional instances where components are perfectly matched it works. But that is rare. There are quite a few folks that have tried it and gone back (stating exactly what Jond said above), a few the were sucessful and stayed with, the vast majority have not tried it as their digital source does not have a volume control.
I have repeatedly researched the topic out of interest as the preamp has been the centerpiece of my systems since the 1970’s. My current Audio Research Reference is a magical component conveying the magic to the amp.
Russ69 I’m not looking for an answer to make my mind up , im very happy with my entire system which includes a preamplifier, I’m just asking ,..