I must be old

Listening tonight to Heavy Weather on first vinyl then CD through a Sonica DAC it occurs to me that there are no pops, the stage separation is larger, the dynamics are larger and the instruments are better defined. My record album is not brand new. It has surface noise. My CD does not. I want to love my vinyl but unless I buy perfect new LPs I cannot tolerate the surface noise or lack of frequency limitations for the sake of euphonic sound. Am I crazy?  Misinformed?  Stupid?  I have been an audiophile for 50 years. 
tgrisham
I prefer to admit that I am a human being, with hearing which ages less if I don't admit it to anyone, but ages still. My ability to enjoy music stems from the fact that I was brought up with classical music and it sounds "right" to me. But many people don't really know about recording and the wishes of the recordist and the mixer to change the sound to whatever THEY want. The methods have changed and the "audiophiles" still argue about this and that, but it is not important. The important thing is enjoying the MUSIC, NOT the recording of the music. I have a system better than my hearing and that is OK with me as I am getting up there in age, but I think that I enjoy the music more than someone who has not owned a recording studio and mixed music.
A Townshend Elite Rock or Rock Reference makes all the difference 😊
+1 nitro 
Tomic is spot on the goal is listening to music the way you want.
I see again the discussion of listening vs science was pulled. It should be a synergistic interaction and not two diametrically opposed views. As Rodney King said why can't we all just get along and that's valid to a point the dividing line, however, should not be what gear you own or it's cost or what you hear or not. Make no mistake science must rule in matters of life and death and the well-being of our planet as we have only one of each.

I don't think your observation and preferences are unique.

I have both analog and digital sources.

Streaming provides is much easier to change music than my turn table.

And I do notice pops on some LPs.

What I also notice is the LP experience is different - the selection of music.  The engagement with others if joining me in a listening session.  And the sound typically is more 'rhythmic' is the word I'll use.  The resonance and vibrations in the room are more natural.

Is the sound floor as quite - not if there's a pop on a record.  Are the highs as high...I notice them to be less harsh and symbol crashes have a natural ring to them.

Both have their time and place for me.