Ayre K-5xeMP vs. Electrocompaniet - EC 4.8 MK II, or others?

I am looking to add a preamp to my current set up (Kef reference 1, Coda continuum TS power amp and Exasound e62 DAC  - Kimber hero balanced cable) and wonder if anyone could provide advice, opinions or other options in the $3,000 range?  The current set up is the best I've ever heard the kef's sound, however I feel am missing something.  I am considering the Ayre K-5xeMP or the Electrocompaniet - EC 4.8 MK II.  Open to tubes as well and curious about EAR, audiovalve and the Modwright LS 100.  

I used to have a hegel h360 and found it laid back, thin and detailed.  The Coda is warmer, with a more forward presentation and great macro and micro dynamics - this is a huge improvement for me over the hegel, but again something is missing...

Thoughts?
cshadow
I haven't listened to the other pre but I can say if you go with the Ayre, you will love it.  For the $2k range that they're selling for, they'd be near impossible to beat.  And if anything goes wrong with it, you're in great hands. 
So down to the Ayre and the Modwright...

I've read the modwright has tube rush.  No idea what that is, but I don't think I want that.  Can anyone comment?
I have a Modwright 36.5, it’s great.  Tube preamps don’t require the attention power amps do.  Once you “hear” tubes, SS simply won’t do.
   “Tube rush” refers to a faint “whooshing” sound, white noise, that you can hear if you turn the volume to max while no music is playing.  Or maybe if you play solo piano of orchestral music really loudly.  Not really a problem.   Quieter tubes can help. 
Well, I bought an Modwright LS 100 and could not be more happy with my choice.  

Injecting tubes into my kit really underlines lloydc's comments:

Once you “hear” tubes, SS simply won’t do