Mcintosh MX170 2-Channel Sound

I am slowly building a home theater system and I am curious if I would need a stereo preamp if I use the Mcintosh MX170 processor.  Speakers are Sonus Faber Amati Traditions with D’Agostino amp.  Is the sound quality for stereo good enough from the MX170 or would I also need a preamp when listening to music?

mobiusmu
As a Mac and ARC owner ( MX119z and REF5se ) I think you will find the REF6 awesome ( yes I have heard many very modern Mac components ) but definitely listen to them both if at all possible....

the obscure “ Samra” reference is to I believe ( hello mech )
Mike Samra in Saginaw who modify gear , including my MC240 ) Mike is a quirky genius capable of wonders.

have fun, enjoy journey and the music

Jim

Thanks for the comments, and for explaining the Samra reference, I had no idea.

I currently have a 5.2, I have a sunfire amp powering Kef LS50’s for my rears at the moment.  I want to get a pair of full range, possibly SF Olympica III’s or something.  
I wish I could hear the MX170 in my set up while listening to music and compare it to a good preamp.  I am not sure how much better the MX170 will be in movies over my Yamaha but I am guessing a dedicated preamp will beat the MX170 in 2-channel enough to make me pick the preamp first.  
I think it is likely that a high end 2-channel preamp will still be better than the MX170.  While the MX170 is going to be a very excellent HT processor, it still uses op amps for all analog stages (both input and output stage).

I think the only HT Processor that I would consider being in the 2-channel analog preamp level is the Bryston SP3.  It uses their fully balanced and fully discrete analog stages for BOTH input stage and output stage.  That being said, it is my opinion that the DSP/DAC board is compromised and is not to the level of other devices (such as Krell, etc.).  The SP3 has just about the strongest and fullest bass I have ever heard from a processor, though.