Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
May seem counter intuitive, but years ago when I would go to audio shows, I would also bring along (to the befuddlement of some) recordings of great music performances with less than great sound instead of records with “audiophile” sound. If THOSE records sounded better and I would hear new insights into the music, that’s when I knew I was on to something. Sonny Rollins’ “A Night at the Village Vanguard” (mono) was one.
Hope the cables work out for you and let us know.
frogman I will let you know as soon as I have time to do it.

I will also try a sub par source as you recommended.

I started with these. Before you scoff at it just know that I have been using regular run of the mill RCA interconnects from the beginning except for my 10 foot long Blue Jeans subwoofer cables. All of my speaker wire (every channel) came from a 14 gauge 100 foot spool with crimped on banana connects throughout.

Here is what I bought which is a big step up from what I had.

RCA's
Amazon.com: BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables, 3 Foot: Electronics

And a review of them from a knowledgeable person:

5.0 out of 5 stars Science speaks for itselfReviewed in the United States on February 6, 2016Verified PurchaseI have compared a variety of cables from all kinds of manufacturers and have learned that only 3 things matter in an interconnect. The first is shielding this is used to stop hiss and hum from getting into your equipment. Any length of wire can become an antenna and cause noise issues. This is solved with what is called a faraday cage. This is the same principle for why you are safer in a car when lightning strikes electricity flows around but not through you. Electricity wants to find the quickest path to ground or the path of least resistance. This is done in a cable by putting a copper braid around the signal conductor so the noise is grounded out before it can reach the center conductor. The next is capacitance, capacitance occurs when you put two pieces of metal next to eachother separated by an insulator. Capacitance is the charge built up and released electrostatically, because this is an out of phase signal (speaker push in it push out or vice versa) that cancels out it will cause high frequency roll off meaning your speakers will be less bright or lose details in the high frequency range. The next is inductance, when a charge moves through a wire it generates a magnetic field. An audio signal is constantly changing therefore its intensity the magnetic field can change as well. The longer the wire the more magnetic field around it. when the signal changes the magnetic field tends to hang around for a small bit of time. because the magnetic field is created after the signal goes through it the current it induces back into the wire is out of phase also causing high frequency roll off. Inductance is lower in priority because it mostly effects current rather then voltage. The next is resistance which because RCA audio is a high impedance the resistance is irrelevant because the resistance of going through the equipment is so high it is literally thousands of time larger then in a cable. How are all these combatted? For capacitance you want to space the conductors away from one another but inductance you want them closer, for shielding you want a thick layer of copper braid or aluminum foil surrounding the center conductor. Ideally you want a precise balance of how close or far the conductors are so the only solution is shrinking the conductor. Decreasing the surface area therefore less capacitance and less inductance for more resistance you make the conductor thicker but with high impedance loads you can make it about as thin as you want with the exception of shielding. Because the shielding has less resistance then the center conductor so the faraday effect can take place which is also helped by the high impedance of the format. With all that said this is by far the best cable you can get all science included sturdy build, thick copper shielding, small center conductor, great connectors and of course USA made. With all that said here are some measurements i did with a DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter at 10khz where i found the best results i compared belkin, acoustic research, monster cable, wireworld audioquest and some DIY ones i had from mogami 2534 mic cable and a shortened monster component cable with new connectors. The lower the numbers here the better :

Cable Test 10khz
Interconnects

BJC LC-1 3ft
cap: 44pf
ind: 0.62uH
ohm: 0.589

AR master series 6ft
cap: 160pf
ind: 1.5uH
ohm: 0.15

AR performance series 3ft
cap: 90pf
Ind: 0.75uH
ohm: 0.117

AR master series comp 3ft
cap: 63pf
Ind: 0.4uH
ohm:0.030

AR master series comp 6ft
cap: 113pf
Ind: 0.7uH
ohm: 0.049

Wireworld Luna 1.5ft
cap: 145pF
ind: 0.3uH
ohm: 0.116

Wireworld solstice 1.5ft
cap:160pF
ind: 0.28uH
ohm: 0.107

Audioquest Chicago 1.5ft
cap: 64.5pF
ind: 0.46uH
ohm: 0.058

Monster 300mk2 3ft
cap: 114pF
ind: 0.86uH
ohm: 0.121

Belkin pureav blue 3ft
cap: 120pF
ind: 0.76uH
ohm: 0.16

Monster m1000comp DIY 1ft
cap: 30pf
ind: 0.26uH
ohm: 0.021

Monster m1000comp 4ft
cap: 71pf
ind: 0.56uH
ohm: 0.035

Mogamj 2534 2ft
cap: 110pF
ind: 0.29uH
ohm: 0.043

The above RCA interconnects bridge my AVR to my 2 channel 250wpc XPA2 Emotiva amp which powers my 2 JBL towers front R and L.

And here is the speaker cables from the amp to the towers.

Amazon.com: Blue Jeans Cable Ten White Speaker Cable, with Welded Locking Bananas, 6 Foot (Single Cable - for one Speaker); Assembled in The USA: Electronics

Some quick reviews

Sound improvement:

I don't quite believe in burning in for cables. I have been using Chord Carnival Silverscreen copper cables and Chord Odyssey 2 silver cables for a couple of years. The BJ ten whites opened up the highs - kind of difficult to describe the experience in words but these cables did make a positive difference and improve sound quality overall. Made me believe much more than ever before that cables actually do make a difference in audio quality. Would highly recommend BJ speaker cables. I have these going from a Marantz PM8005 to Dynaudio Emit M30s with a Oppo UDP as the source. Can't wait to try these on my second system - a Hegel H80, KEF R300 and Marantz CDP.

And the typical tunnel vision audiophile hater:

Can't touch this quality for the price. Companies selling grossly overpriced cables with diminishing returns should be ashamed. If you're looking for an upgrade for a serious hi-fi (I cringe at the term "audiophile") these absolutely do the trick for your kit.

Well now I know how to stop this thread cold in its tracks.

Post some Technical junk. LOL

Anyway back to the thread topic

Just received this disc today to get some early Dexter Gordon impressions. Look at the lineup on the cover. All jazz Hall Of Famer's

Eckstein had very distinct vocals. I like it. At 1 minute Billy says "blow Mr. Gene (Ammons) blow Mr. Dexter too"

(13) Blowing The Blues Away - Single - YouTube
@pjw81563,

All my wire is Blues Jeans.  LC-1 and 10 white.   I got my locking bananas separate and attached them myself.

Is it worth the money to get the welded bananas?

Thanks

Cheers