Trans-Fi Terminator Tonearm: 2019 Update

In reading a few related posts on linear tracking tonearm, in general,  and Trans-Fi Terminator , in particular, I thought I would give a brief update of the Terminator.

I purchased the arm directly from Andrey in Moscow two months ago. From what I understand, Andrey has taken over production after Vic's retirement. What I received is the most up-to-date version of the arm with the carbon fibre wand and brass counterweights, the direct wire leads from cartridge to  phono amp, and a new brass manifold ( not evident from the main web-site). Both the wand and the new manifold are Andrey's contribution to the continued refinement of the Terminator.

Also,  please visit this site: https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/04/15/terminator-tonearm-new-arm-mount/. This gentlemen from NZ has developed a new arm mount for the Terminator which advanced the arm's sonics even further. It was reading through the the development of this new arm mount that convinced me to order the Terminator after much prior research. I did not purchase the arm mount from NZ as it would not readily fit my Verdier La Platine, instead Andrey made a custom arm mount. It is in essence a two point support mount rather than a single point support rod that is commonly used. 

My previous arm was a SME V of 1990's vintage mounted with a ZYX airy. The Terminator is several notch above the SME V. All the accolades given to the Terminator seem justified. My main point in writing is that the new developments by Andrey, i.e. the carbon fibre wand and the newest brass manifold, seem to improve upon the Terminator even more ( see link above ). This is the news that I wanted to share with existing Terminator owners. I asked Andrey to start a blog on all the new stuff that is happening with the arm, but it seems that he is busy making 'things'!

ledoux1238
@dover Thanks for the explanation on transformer. I'll consult a local electrician. It's 110v here.

@dnicol  Regarding wire harness, I am using a XLR set of wires sent from Andrey. Coming out of the cartridge, it is split into four feather thin wires, two per side of wand. They are co-joined at the pivot point.   Would you mind sending me an photo of the way you dress your wire. al dot ho at hohou dot com.I really would like to see how it is done right.

Regarding pressure on the arm, I am adjusting by ear.I have yet to install a pressure gauge. 
Post removed 

Hi guys,

This is my first post on Audiogon.

I have ordered a new Terminator from Andrey and:

A Hiblow HP 40 air pump     https://practicalgardenponds.com/collections/hiblow-aeration/products/hiblow-hp-series-linear-air-pumps?variant=31251397443715

A Fairchild Low Pressure Regulator   https://www.valinonline.com/products/11122nnkrsb

An Ashcroft 0-3 psi gage.   https://www.valinonline.com/products/251490a02b3-

Thanks very much to ledoux1238, terry9, and spiritofmusic for advice on getting started.

I have two Clearaudio TT2 tonearms which are SLT and have a similar very short wand like the Terminator. I am planning to use a Clearaudio tonearm cable with the Terminator. This will go directly from the cartridge to the phono amp.  

I am writing today primarily about the many comments here on variable VTF with the Terminator. While much of this variation in VTF readings may be due to the supplied cable, there are other causes as well.

(Especially) with the short tonearm, there is a horizontal force from the stylus to the gage due to the stylus “settling” on the gage and wanting to push the gage forward away from the arm.

There are also horizontal forces created by out-of-level conditions or from the tonearm wires pushing or pulling on the tonearm wand.

I modified a Riverstone stylus pressure gage to achieve accurate readings with my current tonearms.  https://www.amazon.com/Riverstone-Audio-Record-Level-Turntable-Resolution/dp/B076DFZDS4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1 

You can see pictures at https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9362  (last two pics). I bought two gages and modified one to prove to myself that this corrects the problem. It does correct the problem and gives accurate and consistent reading with the Clearaudio arms.

I expect that it will do the same with the Terminator.

In using the modified gage, you need to move the gage slightly after the cartridge settles to get the threads holding the pendulum to be vertical.

I hope that this is helpful for you in resolving VTF errors.

Don

Just finished my Panzerholz wand. It's more massive than the Tomahawk but that's for the (higher mass) Koetsu, so that I don't need to add weights and damping material all over the thing. I also use an aluminum disk (alloy 7075) tapped to mate with the threads from the cartridge screws in lieu of nuts and washers - tidier.

It measures better than the Tomahawk and is rather more revealing. On good recordings that's good, on poor recordings it's not. So far. This morning I'll be playing around with resistive loading and may have a different story to tell.
@redcars2, Don, thank you for finally posting your adventure here. I eagerly await your input on the Terminator. 

Over the weekend, a quick research was done on the Clearaudio TT2 arm(s), I believe, that you are using. It is a roller-bearing in a glass tube design, not air bearing. That’s a big difference, although the pump and surge tanks you’re about to buy should be a good start.

The arm tube in the TT2 and the arm wand in the Terminator are also quite different. While both are made of carbon fiber, the wand is a flat perforated plate. It’s relationship to the tonearm wires is unlike that of the arm tube of the TT2. The wires are threaded through the arm tube in the TT2, if I am not mistaken, very much like a pivot arm arrangement. The wires are exposed, dangling, and not affixed to the wand in the Terminator. The contact of the wires on the wand therefore varies as the arm travels through an LP. This is the varying contact force that I was referring to in earlier posts, hence the varying VTF.  I think the VTF issue with the Terminator is a bit different that what you have solved with the TT2.