Trans-Fi Terminator Tonearm: 2019 Update

In reading a few related posts on linear tracking tonearm, in general,  and Trans-Fi Terminator , in particular, I thought I would give a brief update of the Terminator.

I purchased the arm directly from Andrey in Moscow two months ago. From what I understand, Andrey has taken over production after Vic's retirement. What I received is the most up-to-date version of the arm with the carbon fibre wand and brass counterweights, the direct wire leads from cartridge to  phono amp, and a new brass manifold ( not evident from the main web-site). Both the wand and the new manifold are Andrey's contribution to the continued refinement of the Terminator.

Also,  please visit this site: https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/04/15/terminator-tonearm-new-arm-mount/. This gentlemen from NZ has developed a new arm mount for the Terminator which advanced the arm's sonics even further. It was reading through the the development of this new arm mount that convinced me to order the Terminator after much prior research. I did not purchase the arm mount from NZ as it would not readily fit my Verdier La Platine, instead Andrey made a custom arm mount. It is in essence a two point support mount rather than a single point support rod that is commonly used. 

My previous arm was a SME V of 1990's vintage mounted with a ZYX airy. The Terminator is several notch above the SME V. All the accolades given to the Terminator seem justified. My main point in writing is that the new developments by Andrey, i.e. the carbon fibre wand and the newest brass manifold, seem to improve upon the Terminator even more ( see link above ). This is the news that I wanted to share with existing Terminator owners. I asked Andrey to start a blog on all the new stuff that is happening with the arm, but it seems that he is busy making 'things'!

ledoux1238

Showing 10 responses by redcars

Hi guys,

This is my first post on Audiogon.

I have ordered a new Terminator from Andrey and:

A Hiblow HP 40 air pump     https://practicalgardenponds.com/collections/hiblow-aeration/products/hiblow-hp-series-linear-air-pumps?variant=31251397443715

A Fairchild Low Pressure Regulator   https://www.valinonline.com/products/11122nnkrsb

An Ashcroft 0-3 psi gage.   https://www.valinonline.com/products/251490a02b3-

Thanks very much to ledoux1238, terry9, and spiritofmusic for advice on getting started.

I have two Clearaudio TT2 tonearms which are SLT and have a similar very short wand like the Terminator. I am planning to use a Clearaudio tonearm cable with the Terminator. This will go directly from the cartridge to the phono amp.  

I am writing today primarily about the many comments here on variable VTF with the Terminator. While much of this variation in VTF readings may be due to the supplied cable, there are other causes as well.

(Especially) with the short tonearm, there is a horizontal force from the stylus to the gage due to the stylus “settling” on the gage and wanting to push the gage forward away from the arm.

There are also horizontal forces created by out-of-level conditions or from the tonearm wires pushing or pulling on the tonearm wand.

I modified a Riverstone stylus pressure gage to achieve accurate readings with my current tonearms.  https://www.amazon.com/Riverstone-Audio-Record-Level-Turntable-Resolution/dp/B076DFZDS4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1 

You can see pictures at https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9362  (last two pics). I bought two gages and modified one to prove to myself that this corrects the problem. It does correct the problem and gives accurate and consistent reading with the Clearaudio arms.

I expect that it will do the same with the Terminator.

In using the modified gage, you need to move the gage slightly after the cartridge settles to get the threads holding the pendulum to be vertical.

I hope that this is helpful for you in resolving VTF errors.

Don

@ledoux1238, Thanks very much for your reply. The CA TT2 is as you describe it except that the wires are attached in one place to the tonearm carriage and from there to the shielded part of the cable which is anchored to the arm carrier. The wires are not threaded through the tube. In that respect it can be identical to the Terminator (or vice versa).

The TT2 also has varying VTF using any normal gage. The only significant difference I can see is the flexibility of the wires. I will wait until I get my Terminator installed before trying to explain the gage again.

On another subject, I asked Andrey about using the arm with a heavy cartridge like my Clearaudio GFS or the Ortofon MC Anna, both of which weigh about 16 grams.

He replied: “The tonearm works perfectly with Ortofon Anna at the setup of my bosom friend.”

Are users with the CF arm having issues with heavier cartridges. Which cartridges over 7 grams will work best; which cartridges have problems?  Any comments would be appreciated.

Don

@ ledoux1238

I recall you mentioning that your TT2 will only work with the Goldfinger, 15 g.    And in order to try other cartridges, you decided to try the Terminator. Did I remember correctly? If so, why is the TT2 so restrictive in its cartridge choices?

This is embarrassing. I thought that I had set my forum preferences to notify me when someone asked a question, but that has not happened, and I just stumbled on the thread again tonight. My apologies.

As far as the Clearaudio TT2 goes, it is a superb tonearm with any of the Clearaudio MC cartridges. Other cartridges, in general have problems to one degree or another. I have been advised by a knowledgeable dealer to get a Clearaudio pivoting arm for any other manufacturers’ cartridges. I am not an expert on this; just following what I think was good advice.

Are you in in possession of the Terminator? Please report back. Thanks!

Yes, it arrived a week or so ago, and I have been building an armboard to allow it to be used with my other arm(s). I’m also still waiting for the air regulator which had a three week lead time. I want to make sure that it works as I expect before giving an update. If you have a specific question in the meantime, please send me a pm.

I will try again to adjust my preferences to follow this thread.

Best, Don

Hi Albert, Terry, Marc, and others,

I am now busy listening to my new Terminator from Andrey.

I have posted pictures of the installation at https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9362 

See pics #31 to #40. (The last ten pics).

I think that you will find that this is a very different installation:

It allows for the arm to be pivoted away from the platter so that multiple tonearms and record ring weights may be used.

It has a different VTA readout that attaches to the arm board, rather than the tonearm.

The arm board is supported by a single ball bearing in the top of an (unused) Clearaudio turntable spindle.

It is locked in place by a one half turn plunger that locates on a rubber gasket so that no vibration is transmitted.

The arm mounting is adjustable in two directions rather than one, and is held down by two solid fasteners and can be adjusted with one hand.

The phono cable was robbed from my second Clearaudio TT2, and is as completely flexible as it looks.

The cueing device has been modified for use on the left rear corner of the turntable. There is also a stop added (not shown) for the beginning of play because of this more awkward location.

Picture #40 shows my modified VTF gage that I spoke about before. I get consistent readings that are identical both with and without the air supply running. The suspended scale prevents any side forces from affecting the reading.

The Clearaudio DaVinci cartridge, that was previously in a second TT2, is vastly improved by this tonearm (based on two evenings of listening). More on the sound when I have a bit more experience with it.

My air pump is similar to Terry9. More on that at another time.

I hope that these new approaches are helpful.

Best,

Don

Hi Albert,
Thanks very much for your comments. 
Keep in mind that there are no air bearing arms on the market (AFAIK) that will allow a record ring weight to be regularly used.  This is what kept me away from these tonearms for years.  

Especially with short tonearms (the Clearaudio is 2 inches to the pivot; the Terminator is 3.5 inches) constant VTA is critical.  The ring weight solves the problem with warped records, and improves the sound.

The other significant factor is the ability to have multiple arms.

Best,
Don

ledoux1238  
Pump > filter > bleed valve > regulator + gage > two 5 gallon tanks > 30 feet of 1/2 inch ID hose > 2 gallon tank > tonearm.  I don't have another gage at the tonearm.  Maybe I'll add one at some point. I can understand why you are asking, but the only purpose would be to compare tonearm readings with others.  With a regulator, it does not really matter.  It's whatever sounds best to you.

Best,
Don
Photos of air supply added (#40 - #43)

I know that it’s overkill, but it gives me lots of flexibility.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9362

The light blue cannister is an air filter. The carpeted item behind the filter is for quieting the pump noise.

New is a needle valve for a constant air bleed because the pump does not like being shut down from 5 psi to 0.5 psi.

The pump is in another room through an 11 inch thick wall.

Best,
Don
0.3 psi at the regulator sounded great tonight.  Arm pressure must be very close or the same as this.

Best,
Don

Hi guys,

I promised to report on the sound I am getting with my new Terminator from Andrey ( https://www.musicfromvinyl.shop/ ).

I have a large record collection of mostly classical records and opera. A lot of vocal, choral and chamber music. And a lot of recordings of pipe organs.

You may remember that before the Terminator I had two Clearaudio TT2 arms. Before those I had the predecessor TQI. Twenty years of Clearaudio happiness. The TT2 concept is also used in the TT1 MI in the Clearaudio Statement turntable.

I have a Clearaudio DaVinci and a Goldfinger Statement (GFS) cartridge.

I bought the Terminator to play other cartridges, and because I like mechanical things and wanted an affordable air bearing arm. I started with the DaVinci because my intention is to replace the DaVinci with another cartridge, perhaps a Miyajima mono cartridge.

The DaVinci sounded so good in the Terminator that I swapped in the GFS. WOW!

The largest improvements have been the sense of soundstage and space around voices and instruments and the quiet background. I thought the TT2 was very good, but the Terminator blows it away.

My room ( https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9362 ) was built for great sound and it has not disappointed. But the music never really filled the room. The horns are position sensitive and have a relatively small sweet spot. Now the room is alive and sounds good everywhere.

In comparison, it is 4D vs 3D.

Same turntable, same cartridge (GFS), same arm cable. A very impressive achievement, IMHO.

The “flow” of the music is more real, more lifelike; the musicians are in the room with you.

Bass is better and more lifelike. Everything is more clear and more precisely located in space. Choral music is uncanny. Are you getting the idea that I am thrilled?

I need to give credit to the rest of my system and the room, but it was the Terminator that turned the corner and brought out the best.

I am ordering a second Terminator arm. Both arms will mount on my turntable and rotate away from the platter to change records.

Best,
Don
Hi Albert,
Thanks for your nice words.

Did I mention that my regulator is designed for 0-2 psi, and the gage for 0-3 psi.  I think that it is important that these items work accurately under 1 psi.

No problem with the CF wand and the GFS.  And Andrey told me that the Ortofon Anna worked well.  I did have to take one of the extra brass weights and attach it to the top of the counterweight with double-stick tape.

Best,
Don