Hacking a Luxman Integrated

One cool and often under appreciated feature in Luxman integrateds is the "Separate" button. It disconnects the preamp from the amplifier, allowing for a number of approaches. Actually this is two features. One is the always active preamp output available on the back.

The second is the ability to feed the amp directly, bypassing everything in the preamp. Useful features:
  • Add room correction/EQ/active crossover in the middle.
  • Passively bi-amp (without using separate)
  • Feed a subwoofer (without using separate)
  • Use amp for home theater
  • Use ~ 0.047uF cap to add a high pass to your Luxman, letting you feed a sub for everything below 80 Hz.
  • Use ~ 1uF or higher to add some flavor to the sound. 
It has me thinking about using it with my sub for 2 channel again. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
I'm hoping to get some feedback here as I just purchased the 509X and it ships out Monday.

I have a new Denon 4700H and plan for the 509X to power my front channels (Focal Aria 926 towers) in my home theater.

My primary 2 Channel listening is my Marantz TT-15S1 turntable

Issue:  I want my two SB3000 subwoofers incorporated into both home theater and 2 channel listening.

1.  Preouts from Denon front channels to "main in" on 509X for home theater where Luxman powers front channels.

2.  Turntable to "Phono In" on 509X

3.  Do I have this right?  "Preout" on 509X back to the Denon analog input.

In this situation, Denon is involved discretely in preamp mode but wouldn't my sub preouts on Denon supply a signal to both subwoofers in home theater and 2 channel listening?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to be clear and get any feedback I could.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Adam

Hi Adam,
Preouts from Denon front channels to "main in" on 509X for home theater where Luxman powers front channels.

Yes.  Be aware the Separate button on the remote needs a long-hold to activate it. 
but wouldn't my sub preouts on Denon supply a signal to both subwoofers in home theater and 2 channel listening?

Only if the Denon is also your source selector.  Anything connected to the Luxman inputs will not go to the Denon.  To use a sub for anything on the Luxman you'll need to use the Luxman Pre outs to your sub. 
I currently (without the 509X) use the CD source on my Denon which connects to my phono preamp.

Can I continue that exact path but just send the preouts from the Luxman to the CD input on the Denon?  If so, wouldn't my subs then work.

My goal is to use both subs in home theater and 2 channel listening but I do not want the Luxman compromised at all.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Adam,

Yes, but you are now bypassing the Luxman Pre which is a huge contributor to the sound.
Here's what I suggest:
Try both ways for the CD, without a sub.  If you don't hear a difference, and are just going to use the Luxman as a straight 2 channel amp, then your path makes sense.
Is using the "recorder out" an option for connecting subwoofers?  It can be turned on and off and would solve my problem.