If you don't have a wide sweet spot, are you really an audiophile?

Hi, it’s me, professional audio troll. I’ve been thinking about something as my new home listening room comes together:

The glory of having a wide sweet spot.

We focus far too much on the dentist chair type of listener experience. A sound which is truly superb only in one location. Then we try to optimize everything exactly in that virtual shoebox we keep our heads in. How many of us look for and optimize our listening experience to have a wide sweet spot instead?

I am reminded of listening to the Magico S1 Mk II speakers. While not flawless one thing they do exceptionally well is, in a good room, provide a very good, stable stereo image across almost any reasonable listening location. Revel’s also do this. There’s no sudden feeling of the image clicking when you are exactly equidistant from the two speakers. The image is good and very stable. Even directly in front of one speaker you can still get a sense of what is in the center and opposite sides. You don’t really notice a loss of focus when off axis like you can in so many setups.

Compare and contrast this with the opposite extreme, Sanders' ESL’s, which are OK off axis but when you are sitting in the right spot you suddenly feel like you are wearing headphones. The situation is very binary. You are either in the sweet spot or you are not.

From now on I’m declaring that I’m going all-in on wide-sweet spot listening. Being able to relax on one side of the couch or another, or meander around the house while enjoying great sounding music is a luxury we should all attempt to recreate.
erik_squires
Audio2design, thank you for your post. You are mostly right. It is all about timing and volume. You are also probably right about certain situations.
The vast majority of recording is done multi micing, not with stereo microphones. Then it becomes all about volume differentials between the channels, to where the sound was mixed. Now the timing event becomes paramount and that can happen only when your head is equidistant from the speakers that are properly balance (volume) Unless you prefer to go the ambisonic route. Your central nervous system was designed to work with head shading. It increases the volume differential between the ears allowing more accurate location of the threat. Timing also changes. In order to produce an accurate image you have to be equidistant from speakers balance correctly and both speakers have to have the exact same frequency response curve. Very few systems meet all these criteria and do not image as well as is theoretically possible. Yes, the way the recording was done influences all of this.
Half truth....

The missing half is in acoustic science and called the first frontwave law related to the different  possible thresholds timing  of direct and reflected waves and their interpration by the ears..

Imaging is not first a fact in digital recording tech. but in acoustic first...

I created my own mechanical equalizer for balancing the timing of the  different  waves  without microphone... It worked so well my imaging i call depth imaging fill the room...My measured standard is the range of the human voice and his timbre perceived by the ears...Not a a set of very narrow testing frequencies for a very minute location of the head using a mic... 

Then imaging is FIRST : timing + the law of the first wavefront..
After that you can speak of timing+volume ...

missing this point is complete reversal and misunderstanding of the phenomena...

Acoustic neurophysiology is FIRST  recording engineering second for the explanation....  
Post removed 
You may feel your response is erudite, but to me, you just told me "I like Oranges", after I told you it was 7 below freezing and snowing outside. Perhaps to you there was some correlation, but I am just shaking my head and I suspect others are too at this point.
Insulting is your only argument...

i just put a simple point here you never answer to it...

Any reader can read that for himself...

I will simplify my post for your own understanding...

Acoustic explain imaging.....Engineereing use the acoustical explanation for better recording technique...

yes toe in speakers matter and anything pertaining to timing and volume...

BUT timing of wavefront matter MOST because it is ACOUSTIC science first... It is the same thing for the concept of timbre which is acoustical one...

This was my point...

How in the world this simple fact which is totally true correspond to you answer about orange and freezing...

You are a very intelligent person, but you are not a very "gentle" and very trustfull one sorry...

audio2design
If you worked better on your reading comprehension and spent more time trying to understand what I wrote, and less time trying to prove me and others wrong ...
Ad hominem attacks are a basic logical fallacy. You are literally not making sense.

I am pretty sure that English is not @mahgister’s native language - yet his reading comprehension seems fine to me even if there’s an occasional stumble. I think he should be welcome here. Under the forum rules, he deserves to participate here without your attacks.
Post removed