The Wilt Chamberlain of Audio Gear

Forget about having the audio itch, upgraditis, or whatever you want to call it - anyone besides myself ever feel like the Wilt Chamberlain of Audio gear?  My brother always said that I change audio gear more than I change my underwear, but in the last 2 years, the addiction has gotten worse I think.  My name is Lou and I’m an audio whore, and I don’t mind it one bit :)

Anyone else care to share?
128x128lou_setriodes
It's great that you are comfortable with your impulse to try new systems! Often this is presented as some kind of issue, a problem. Not at all! I have said that it's not like these are people with feelings that we are dismissing; they are electronics without sensibility, and we can obtain or dismiss them at our pleasure. It is one reason that I do not subscribe to nostalgia audio, as it misses out on all the newer, and imo better developments. 

There is nothing wrong with loving the gear as much as the music itself. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Observe how many glom onto media, as though that is a badge of honor - I call them Mediaphiles, as they spend prodigious amounts of time and money collecting and curating their collection. Great! Good for them if that is their thing. 

About ten years ago I accepted the fact that I enjoy variety of experience as much as anything in this hobby. So, I began to ensure I would have it. The past decade has been delightful and so much more rewarding than when I chased "The One," the mythical one speaker/system that could satisfy in every respect. 

Also, I very much enjoy advancing systems, and never tire of seeing improvement in an already good sounding rig. The multi-faceted nuances of the experience are amazing, how many thousands of expressions of well known recorded music exist! It's like an astronomer gazing into the universe; always something beautiful and unexpected to experience! 

To those who think there is something wrong with a love affair with the gear: Don't let anyone tell you that you are doing audio wrong! Have a great time with the electronics, and play the game as you wish! The only caveat is if it skews your personal budget so as to be in conflict with priorities; then you need a moderating influence.  
There's a niche for everyone in this hobby. I keep my equipment for a long time and consider myself to be a music lover first and an equipment changer a very distant last. However, in addition to the vast record and CD collection (the music), I'm a devout tweaker. I just can't seem to leave things alone. 

Frank
Yes Doug, it is called a wife and children. Like you nostalgia audio makes me scratch my head. There are very few instances where older equipment is "better." I can certainly understand if one is building a system on a budget and older used equipment fits the bill at a reasonable price but then some of this equipment now costs more than new.

I know very few audiophiles who are one trick ponies. My best audiophile friend is into cars, cycling all over the world and skiing. On top of all this I am a rather accomplished woodworker, the product of a restless mind. I can not just hang out. Beaches and cruise ships are death traps.

Hi Lou, I had very much the same problem years ago. Most of my friends had the same problem. Then you climb into the realm where equipment starts costing serious money on top of family responsibilities and there is a natural tendency to slow down....until the kids are gone:-)  Still, over the years you discover a certain sound you want to hear usually with speakers and once you are there with the best speaker of the type you like, unless there is a huge advance somewhere (very rare with speakers as there has not been any significant new tech in decades) you tend to stay where you are. But, there is all the associated equipment most of it having a distinct life span. I am at the point now were significant equipment upgrades cost five figures and up and the law of diminishing returns sets in. There is also new tech that crops up on occasion and I tend to be an early adapter. A good example is room control. Anyway, my next upgrade is going to be a new projector. The newer laser projectors are a big step forward. The bulbs last 20,000 hours and they are twice as bright. Prices have come down into the almost reasonable range. Nothing like a rock video on a great system!
Keep whoring away but do take time to smell the roses. I hate that saying;-)
Frank, you've got to loose that tweakitis. You waste a lot of money you could be saving for the big improvement in equipment.