Speaker terminal polarity

I just unpacked my Cary 300B-SE mono blocks after being in storage for over 15 years.  Both speaker outputs (on each amp) look identical (not color coded) and neither is labeled + or -. I tried a continuity test against the amp chassis and both terminals read the same. How do I determine + from -?  Does it matter as long as I have each amp wired to its corresponding speaker the same way?

I must have asked this question when I got the amps 17 years ago, but can't locate the thread.  Standing by with red and black sharpie pens if necessary.

jamesddurkin
On an old cary amp the base of the post is colored red or black it is not marked in the usual fashion look closely you will see it.
Place a 1.5 volt battery across the speaker inputs. 
If the speaker cone moves out, label the positive battery side connected to the speaker +   

If it move in, then label it - 

Do the same for the other speaker.

I'd suggest to judge correct polarity by ear. Do a simple listening test: 1) connect your speakers up to your amp. Play a track with vocals. 2) Then ON ONE SPEAKER only, switch the positive and negative wires and listen again. The wire orientation that sounds the most focused, voice in between your two speakers, is the correct polarity, regardless of what colors or what you think is +, -.

Your question about absolute polarity is important.  In an ideal world a recorded kick drum when hit will cause the air to move toward the listener.  This will happen if phase integrity is maintained throughout the audio chain.  The audible effect is call the Wood Effect. Look it up on google.
MC to the rescue again with wrong info. If you don’t know which terminals are plus and minus on the amp and you are using 2 speakers, you have a chance of reversed polarity of 1 of the speakers and this will cause a significant effect. 
You can’t assume by looking at your amp that the positive terminal is going to be at the same place on the opposite side of the amp. Call Cary or look for your amp online to see which terminals are positive and negative.