Should I try to improve speakers at $2000.00 range

System:
SPEAKERS...Celestion SL700SE...old but Like new
AMPS...Quicksilver 90 watt silver monos
PREAMP...Quicksilver LS non-remote...new model
DAC...Rega...Theta Miles as transport
CABLES... Kimber 8tc/8tc bi-wire (speakers), Kimber kcag and silverstreak (interconnect), Kimber 75 coaxial (Miles to DAC)
zoot45
if the celestions were made today, they would cost much more than 2k. they are keepers.
((04-03-09: Jaybo
still putting drivers in boxes..you haven't missed much
Jaybo (Threads | Answers | This Thread)))

Jaybo maybe you need to get out more and hear this stuff
his Quicksilver system would optimize with the Vandies
no contest
Best JohnnyR
This thread demonstrates one of my pet peeves. I should say at the outset, that I am not singling out Johnnyr or Dayglow. But, I have to ask Dayglow has he ever owned a pair of Sl-700s? Has Johnnyr heard a pair of Sl-700s since "back in the day"? I own a pair of SL-700s, as well as other speakers. You may agree or disagree about my assessment. I don't know whether they are better or not as good as the Silver 17.5, because I never heard the latter. Relying on aural memory from 20 years ago, probably with different source components or amplification, or based upon what you may have read about other speakers is largely meaningless. It seems obvious that answers to these types of threads many times are responses based upon what that individual currently owns and rarely based upon actual comparisons. Rant button off.
if it ain't broke don't fix it...leave well enough alone and pay attention to improving your listening space
{room acoustics}..tell us about the room is it treated?
Well I would say by all means. Just a quick look at used speakers and I see a pair of B&W 805's a pair of Reference 3A mm deCapo's and a pair of Quad 57's.

You only live once....