DAC/w Volume control + Power amp or DAC + Integrated?

Doing lots of research for complete new set up from the scratch but very confused about DAC /w volume control section. 
Does the Volume control mean actually a preamp section? So a DAC + Preamp all-in-one box? 
Or are there any DAC with pure simple volume control knob exist? 

One of the systems I am eyeing on is LTA Ultralinear power amp. Source is digital only (Qobuz, local files network streaming via Chromecast audio to DAC via optical, for now) so I may not need separate Pre-amplifier. 

There are couple of options.
1) DAC /w built in volume control + UL Power amp
2) pure DAC + Standalone Volume controller + UL Power amp
3) pure DAC + UL integrated amplifier

Which one is the best setup SQ wise? Or Cost-Performance?

Built in volume control affects sound quality of the DAC? 

Is UL Integrated inferior to power amp by a margin?

I would like to go simple as possible because of limited funds (DAC & Amp for < $9k) so assume that going from DAC to Power amp directly is the way to go. All used gear will be more than welcome.

Regards

Arron

czar2000
FWIW: I bought the Nobsound passive amp because of the discussion in this thread about bit-stripping. The Nobsound was only $60 and it was for sale on Amazon. So, for once, I could try something without consideration of restocking fees, etc. I was thrilled to get it today. And then I put it into my system. No doubt there are superior passive amps. This one reduced the soundstage in my system to 2 dimensions. So, back to Amazon it goes. 
Two components that have added more ‘bloom’ and expanded the height and depth of the soundstage was; An all tube preamp and tHe Audio Mirror Tubsdour III DAC having a tube output stage. 
Pennpencil
Thanks that is absolutely helpful. 

jiss
Understand now. I am going to research Hegel vs Devialet. 
mesch
That was my initial plan, DAC + Schiit SYS + Power amplifier within my budget. 
but the cheap volume controller seems like not a good option. 
I'd get Integrated & simple DAC combo
Can't comment on what will work for you, rather what I have found.  I have a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge.(Streamer, dac, and volume)  I can select analog or digital for the volume control.  Analog seems to sound better.  I believe that anything you run the signal through will only degrade the sound.  No matter how good an integrated is, you are running your source through its preamp adding color of some sort.  If the dac has volume control and it is somewhat lossless, then run it direct to the power amp just make sure you match in/output impedance. I've done this mismatch thing and it wasnt great.  Some say 10/1 is a pretty good starting point on impedance matching and I agree.

If you do get an integrated, some have a preamp "sweet spot" say 12 oclock for example on the integrated.  Try setting the pre there and use the dac as the volume control.  This way the integrated is "sounding it's best" and the dac is lossless, so in the end you have the smoothest sound. Learned that from Paul at PS audio.   I had decent results with the Krell KAV 400xi that way.  Now I have a Naim integrated and it sounds best fed full dac signal using the int as the volume. 

You could also try, if the integrated has this, run the dac direct into the amp side of the integrated(bypassing the pre), and then compare with running the dac "normally" into the preamp side of int.  Then you have both scenarios in one place.

In the end, less is always more in this hobby so the right power amp would be cleanest but integrateds will give you the extra inputs.