MHDT or Border Patrol

I've been switching between a DACmagic Pus with an LPS, and a Schiit Modi Multibit DACs and while the sound is decent/acceptable I would like to "upgrade" to a non-OS tube DAC just to see if it adds more body and texture to the music without losing detail. Has anyone had a chance to compare the MHDT and Border Patrol DACs and can comment on their sound quality?  I have Bluesound Node2 feeding the DAC, into an upgraded Aric Audio tube preamp, McIntosh MC2200, and Vandersteen 2Ci speakers. I'm actually looking for more texture in the low/high treble and mid/low bass. Aric's preamp gives plenty of body/texture in the midrange spectrum.
Thanks in advance.  
128x128kalali
I just purchased the balanced pagoda and it's replaced a schiit multibit, I think I need several weeks of burn in but my setup has never sounded so good. Can't wait to upgrade this thing. 
Just got the Border Patrol Se-i and it's a wonderful. Exhibiting all the characteristics described here in this thread for the MHDT and you shut the tube on or off to your liking. Built in the US (not Taiwan) and the support from Gary is fantastic. i don't think you could go wrong with either of these DACs but my pick would be the BP given it's proven reliability and made in the US and flexibility. 
I have a Pagoda, single ended. Very happy for the sound. Neutral yet organic super detailed in both frequency ends. Got hold of a new production JJ 6386 tube listed in class 1 by the designer Jiun. http://mhdtlab.com/tube.htm. This change lifted the dac up,to a much higher level. More 3d, more air even more music. This dac is the best ever in my system. Now looking for upgrades. If any.....

Update, 4-years later. Recent dacs tested and a few updates to share, fwiw.

MHDT Orchid, 2019:

Sold my lovely MHDT Labs Orchid DAC w/cap upgrades to a happy new owner. Went with all the tubes, GE, *5-Star, WE, Telsa, and more. Nice for a r2r chip dac.

• Solid value, can sound nice with the right tube, warmup a must.
  • Upgrading the caps helps it some more. Great service from Juin.
  • Responsive to higher quality interconnects. Try a few.

Schiit Bifrost 2/64, 2023:

Have since tried the new Schiit Bifrost 2/64 dac with dual TI processors, NOS mode, and no tubes in the signal path, as desired. Extra Great Value for the $!

• Smooth clean tone, texture, detail, layering.
  • Sound stage is there, w/NOS mode is a nice option.
  • Responsive to higher quality interconnects. Try a few.

BorderPatrol SE-I, 2023:

June 2023, custom ordered the new BP SE-I version dac in Black with the new Jupiter Beez Wax caps and new Choke design. Tube is NOT in the direct signal path. Using tube rectification for the Power Supply. Worth a serious look-see.

• Weighty, its a heavy little well built hand made tank w/real iron inside!
  • IF hypersonic in-your-face-detail sizzle is your thing, look elsewhere.
  • IF massive sound stage, over-sampling is your thing, look elsewhere.
  • Yes, its a tad more laid back, and with the right speakers, very nice!
  • MIDRANGE, oh my gosh, think AudioNote type sound, presentation.
  • Smooth, tone, organic, texture, no etch, zero midrange glare, none.
  • Music listening sessions jumped from 2hrs max, to 6-8hrs, no sleep!