Better Records White Hot Stampers: Now the Story Can Be Told!

Just got shipping notification, so now the story can be told!

Better-Records.com is a small, incredibly valuable yet little known company run out of Thousand Oaks, CA by Tom Port. The business started out many years ago when Tom Port noticed no two records sound quite the same. Evidently Tom is a sound quality fanatic on a scale maybe even higher than mine, and he started getting together with some of his audio buds doing shoot-outs in a friendly competition to see who has the best sounding copy.   

Over time this evolved into Better-Records.com, where the best of the best of these shoot-outs can be bought by regular guys like me who live for the sound, but just don't have the time or the drive to go through all the work of finding these rare gems.

The difference in quality between your average pressing and a White Hot Stamper is truly incredible. If you don't have the system or the ears of course you may never notice. If you do though then nothing else comes even close.   

Tom will say things like only one in twenty copies is Hot Stamper worthy. This doesn't even come close to conveying the magnitude. Last night for example, wife and I were listening to our White Hot Stamper of Tchaikovsky 1812. Then we played another White Hot Tchaikovsky. Then we played the Tchaikovsky tracks from my copy of Clair deLune.  

Without hearing a White Hot you would think Clair de Lune is about as good as it gets. After two sides of Tom's wonders it was flat, dull, mid-fi. Not even in the same ball park. And yet this is quite honestly a very good record. How many of these he has to clean, play, and compare to find the rare few magical sounding copies, I don't even know!  

Copies of Hot Stamper quality being so hard to find means of course they are not always available. This is not like going to the record store. There are not 50 copies of Year of the Cat just sitting around. Most of the time there are no copies at all. When there are, they get snapped up fast. Especially the popular titles. Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Tom Petty Southern Accents, whole bunch of em like this get sold pretty fast even in spite of the astronomically outrageous prices they command. Then again, since people pay - and fast - maybe not so outrageous after all.   

So I spent months looking, hoping for Year of the Cat to show up. When it did, YES! Click on it and.... Sorry, this copy is SOLD! What the...? It was only up a day! If that!  

Well now this puts me in a bit of a spot. Because, see, besides loving music and being obsessed with sound quality, I'm also enthusiastic about sharing this with others. With most things, no problem. Eric makes an endless supply of Tekton Moabs. Talking up Tekton or Townshend or whatever has no effect on my ability to get mine. With Better-records.com however the supply is so limited the last thing I need is more competition. Bit of a bind.   

Even so, can't keep my big mouth shut. Been telling everyone how great these are. One day someone buys one based on my recommendation, Tom finds out, next thing you know I'm a Good Customer. What does that mean? Well is there anything you're looking for? Year of the Cat. That's a hard one. Tell me about it. Might take a while. Take all the time you need. Just get me one. Please. Okay.  

That was months ago. Other day, hey we're doing a shoot-out. No guarantees but should be able to find you one. So for the last few days I was all Are we there yet? Are we there yet? And now finally, like I said, shipped!  

So now I have my Grail, and the story can be told. Got a nice little collection of Hot Stampers, and will be adding more, but this for me is The One. Might not be for you, but that is the beauty of it all. Many of us have that one special record we love. If you do too, and you want to hear it like listening to the master tape, this is the way to go.
128x128millercarbon
As luck will have it, my friend has a Mobile Fidelity record cleaning solution and brush. I doubt he has ever used it before, though. Maybe I had bought it for him at some point in life.

We, eventually, settled on Soundsmith Othello and Technics EPC-207 as the best of the cartridge bunch we had available. No clear winner between those two. I am sorry if that disappoints anyone. We tried all the cartridges with a few other records to decide what to leave for our experiment.

We (actually I) cleaned old records to the best of our ability. We did not touch the White Hot Stamper. Manually. Made it wet, waited, distilled water, whole eight and a half yards. How good it was may be debatable, but it was the best we could do. All the records looked clean afterwards. German one still looked almost mint while Italian and U.S.A. ones looked clean but obviously used. No real scratches of any kind, just did not look as good as the German one.

Quick screening of those three old records was simple. German copy did sound better. Do not ask me for poetry in explanation. Basically, other two seemed to have narrower range, much less details. Almost like, although not to such a dramatic extent, like having a ball of dust on the stylus. No, stylus was clean. We discarded those two from further comparison as the whole thing needed getting up, playing, getting up, changing, etc. Life is too short for that. The one clearly the best out of three was enough.

White Hot Stamper, looking pristine, was still surprising. There were still, not that loud, crackles between the songs. Not noticeable during the music playing, but they were there. I guess it is inherent to the medium. Going back to how well our records were cleaned under our imperfect conditions, all three of them had about the same level of those crackles as the White Hot Stamper. I guess that cleaning did work somehow and that I take better care of my records than one would expect. Again, with similar level of this minor crackling, German record was much better.

We played the German record first and in its entirety. It was good, you should not ask for much more than that, I think. In particular because this was the Rolling Stones from the pop/disco era. It was not a chamber orchestra. As I had mentioned earlier, it was about real life, real circumstances, real music, real everything. It was not to be a laboratory grade experiment. For that, I recommend Mike Lavigne’s recommendation Dameronia with strings.

Being perfectly satisfied with the old German record from early eighties that had been played in its time quite a bit, we switched to the star of the show.

White Hot Stamper was from the beginning really more of sounds, more of impact, more of bass, more details. Not more of a singer’s voice, but that is how it was recorded/mixed and it probably has nothing to do with the record itself. I cannot say it was night and day and the other record could be called garbage, but comparatively this one was better. Better as in "yes, this one is more" sort of thing. Without direct comparison, one after another, the difference would have probably not been that noticeable. Partly because of the recorded material, I believe. Having a task to compare them so close, White Hot Stamper was overall more impactful.

As a bonus, we compared it to an early CD and we definitely preferred the sound of the record, either of them, to CD. Which is not to say that CD would have not worked in any other scenario. As I said, we preferred. I am not going into which one was supposedly and semi-objectively better.

Both of us had similar objection, though, and it is more about psychology than about objectiveness. We felt that White Hot Stamper crossed from our usual expectation of that particular record into a sharper image that felt unusual. It was better in every sense of that word, we thought, but it did not align with our long memory of how (imperfect) we have learned that record to be. We did listen to it a few more times since then and it started sinking in. Not there yet, but it is getting there so I am considering digitizing it and having that digital copy for a regular use.

As a conclusion, if I were a vinyl fan and I found some dear album at better-records.com, I would give it a shot again. Had there not been pops and clicks advertised, I would have already picked another one there. Of course, my sample has so far been so small that it may be close to irrelevant as a recommendation, but I am saying what I would do. Others have already reported variations in quality of Stampers so one may need to risk and learn.

As far as "is it worth it" goes, in this particular case, I cannot say that the difference was so phenomenal that I would want to replace everything I have with White Hot Stampers. As I said, based on this experience, I would easily add a few more favorite records to the list. Double that if I were a real vinyl junkie. However, I am not a die-hard vinyl fan. Keep in mind, for an average person, prices can add up so one may need to rationalize a bit. That part is impossible to elaborate on.

Another White Hot Stamper detail unrelated to the better-records.com purchase was happily amusing. After the tested record, I put a recent acquisition of The Boomtown Rats Diamond Smiles single on. Now, that must be some Scorching White Hot Stamper. I guess I just got lucky. No crackling, sounded richer than I have ever dreamed it would, beyond perfect. In my friend’s words (he did not know what I was putting on and was not expecting anything): "Wow, now this is something." It cost maybe $5-10 on discogs.com and it came from half the world away. If you have time, will, interest, etc., you could obviously find White Hot Stampers by yourself. For added hundred, two, or three, if not more, Better Records does it for you, it seems. It depends how you like to play your hobby.

After writing all this boring recap, I cannot resist mentioning that comparing records, and even listening to them properly, is a bit of a chore. Server/streamer is way more convenient. I doubt I will put a record on a turntable any time soon again. However, if it makes you feel good, you definitely should.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but this tested White Hot Stamper appears to be Made in U.S.A.
Well glupson, It is obvious you can’t hear, your stereo is crap, and you are a lowlife in general! Just kidding, just kidding!

Seriously, thanks for doing this comparison and writing up the results for us. I find doing this type of comparison tedious myself.

There does seem to be variation in the way that different audiophiles react to differences in sound. To some, every difference is very significant and every change in sound is better or worse. To others, many changes in sound are just different, not necessarily better or worse, or at least not better or worse enough to get excited about.

We all like those big improvements in sound where one item being compared is clearly better than another, but as changes get smaller or more unclear as to whether what we’re hearing is actually an improvement, many of us decide that the change is not worth the money or effort involved to get that change.

Of course there is no right or wrong in either of these approaches and people should pursue whatever audiophile path brings them enjoyment while leaving them financially solvent.

Thanks again!
tomcy6,

You are partially correct.

I hear well enough to get through the day, stereo, except for cartridges, was my friend's (we discarded his Ortofon 2M Red), and there is hardly any question about me being a lowlife. As long as there is "life" in that, I guess it is still fine.

The question for a normal audiophile will come down to if the difference is worth the money. Provided the person already has a reasonably good copy of a certain record. That is impossible to decide for others. I just wanted to check if there is a difference between White Hot Stamper and other random copies available. In this case, there was.

Remind me, was it you who has Some Girls? Do you have Emotional Rescue, too?

tomcy6,

I found it, it was tomic601 with Some Girls.

You guys, or you some girls, are confusing me with your names.