Magic returns in seldom used bookshelves?

Has anyone else pulled out a pair of less expensive ( in this case a pair of Ascend Sierra 2 non ex) speakers and really consider returning them to the "main" system.  I currently have a pair of really really nice Salk Song 3 BeAts ( mine are the ones on Jim's site in Fireburst Carpathian Elm Burl...gorgeous they are) and while I really really like them they have rarely if ever given me that "chills big huge smile" on several songs like the little Sierra's do? Everything else in system has remained consistent, but man on man, am I crazy to be considering selling my Salks and upgrading my little Sierra's to the new ex version for a nominal cost?
menosavy
Hello,
I have a couple different amps and speakers. I almost even bought a pair of used Totem book shelf speakers. They really disappeared. I don’t know why you can’t keep both or start a second system. Just get a pair of stands and put them off to the side. When you want to listen hook them up and listen. If it’s a space or money issue then that’s another thing. Just a thought. 
These debates are frequently hard to sort out on an audio forum, because they come back to what kind of opportunity cost it is for *you* to keep potential money locked up in those speakers. If you had something else valuable to your audio endeavor you were not buying because of the money locked in the Salks, it would make sense to sell them so you could continue your hobby. Otherwise, the suggestion of rotating them in and out (with other amps, positions in the room, etc.) is a valid one.

Then again, the answer may just be as simple as this: your ears are your ears, and speakers are just speakers. I wish I liked lobster better than I do; I know people say it's a delicacy, but I really prefer a good steak. I don't order lobster in a nice restaurant, because I know my tastes (and tastebuds) are not lying to me.

I own tannoy legacy eatons ($5500), and formerly used wharfedale diamond 225’s bookshelves/standmounts (still own them, 2 pairs, $449). I’ve often thought of putting them back into the system, they are that good! Believe it or not, they tended to do a better disappearing act than the much more expensive tannoys, and they were no slouch in both the bass and the imaging department. If someone told me I had to dump the tannoys and return the little 225’s back to the system, I can honesty say I would remain a happy camper! They just do so many things right to my ears. They are not the last word on detail or accuracy, but it seems no matter what I played through them, they did their darn best to satisfy. It is no wonder they won budget component of the year from both Stereophile and the absolute sound. That’s why I will never let them go!

It is no wonder that Herb Reichert said,

"Forget the Diamond’s modest price. This humble wooden box is actually a connoisseur-level audio component. It could satisfy any sane music collector for decades." HR
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-225-loudspeaker

I have owned speakers before that were technically very proficient. You could point to all the "audiophile" hot buttons and they hit them all. But the involvement factor was missing. I couldn't sit for hours and be pulled into the performance, it just didn't all come together. 

This very much applies to my last pair of speakers, the Spatial Audio X3. When dissected, they had all the right ingredients. But I wasn't moved like I am by my current Cornwall IVs. So yes, I get what you are saying.

Oz

menosavy,
It sounds like you are more enamoured with the looks of the Salks than the sound.
Can't blame you, anything with 'carpathian' in it is bound to look good!