The indisputable benefit of fiber for music

I've read a lot about fiber's audible superiority to Ethernet, and most of it I have taken with a grain of salt.  1GigE is plenty fast for just about anything, and it is balanced and galvanically isolated. The one area where fiber is clearly a better choice for music systems is lightning protection.

It is not uncommon for lightning to enter a home via the cable TV's coaxial cable. This can easily jump the millimeters from coax to Ethernet to Ethernet. So if you are like me, and rely on Ethernet cabling to stream to avoid any Wifi issues you are also creating a possible lightning path from the external Internet provider's connection all the way to your fancy audio gear.

In this one situation I have to say, the use of a 1m or longer fiber cable is the superior solution. I'm considering using this at the junction between the cable TV modem and my router, therefore isolating all of my streaming devices at once.

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
You are apparently using plug-in SFP devices.  I am using the linked stand-alone converters and powering the one located in the vicinity of my gear with an HD Plex LPS instead of the wall-wort that it came with.
Please note that the ENO filter will only work with Media Converters where the RJ45 connection will work at 100Mb/S. Converters like the TP-Link MC200 will only work at 1Gb/S so won’t work with the ENO filter. The MC100 is a better choice.
Hi Rich,
The info for the MC200CM says "10/100/1000Mbps."  So does that mean it "always" operates at the max 1Gb/S?   I did order two of the MC100CM converters so if I want to try the ENO I will have the appropriate Ethernet out speed.
I am strongly considering giving the ENO a try but I am a little trigger shy having had too many small boxes here that did next to nothing for the sound.
That should be fine, as long as the Media converter will negotiate down, or there is a hardware switch to force 100mbs.
No such worries with the trigger with our box, the reviews tell the story, they aren’t made up, plus the 30 day money back, we offer that as we know we’re on safe ground. Message me directly with details of your current Ethernet and system setup if you wish, we can go through things.
Over the last couple of years the whole of Australia changed over the the NBN (National Broadband Network) which is all fibre optic.

Before I got changed over to fibre optic, I had very fast super reliable "cable" at 6ms ping and 120mB per sec download any time of the day.
Now with the fibre even though it "can" do "up to" 1000mB per sec depending on how much you want to pay, I get drop outs and many days when it’s slow. And that now costs me more.
And it’s going to be obsolete soon anyway, as now 5G wifi is coming with 1.8gB per sec download speed, should be a real brain fryer or tumour exciter when we get it.
https://img.17qq.com/images/hjjoppfbbdz.jpeg

Cheers George