If your were to assemble a vintage system ?

Let’s say you were going to put together a vintage system and your source was primarily vinyl. Your price limit is $1500. What would it be? 
Make it as musical as possible. Super detail or thunderous bass isn’t going to be very high on the list. My first thought would be a 70’s Marantz receiver (50ish wpc is more than adequate) an 80’s AR table, and any iteration of a Vandersteen 2C that didn’t bust the budget. 

Could easily also swap in a Pioneer SX750 instead of a Marantz. 
Cartridge? Not sure- might actually go with something modern/current. AT or Nagaoka 

what would you put together? 
128x128zavato
Braun speakers (719 or 810) ADS too.

Marantz 2225 with the VU meters

Thornes TT? Something.

All on eBay and with in you range.

BUT!!!!

I’d get new for the down time and future hidden costs that are certainly part of the rig. You’d have to stream. Peachtree makes an intergrated with bluetooth (use yr. phone or laptop). There are others too. Maybe some klipsch speakers new or used. 
Lots of used cables/speakers to snag. With lamp cord vintage it is!
Caveat emptor!

Amazed that no one has mentioned Harmon Kardon. Also amazed how many liked Pioneer. I never heard one that I liked and I heard a lot of them. And I cringe at Luxman. Worst purchase of my life. But we all have different preferences and hearing I suppose. I had/still have a HK 730 twin powered receiver that I believe would shame some modern separates. But It NEEDS to be recapped and some minor repair. So you MUST include that cost in any purchase, which jeopardizes that $1500 limit. Friends, This stuff is 40 + years old. 
That said, my system would consist of

HK Citation  amp & maybe preamp
Infinity Speakers
Technics 1200 TT

Sorry, I don't have model #'s
@artemus_5 

You're right, the HK 730 is an excellent unit.  If you already own one, these are well worth having redone, or buying one.  If you don't, just as with an old car, a buyer would be better off getting one that has already been restored. 

Good separates, HK or otherwise, would likely blow this budget.  
@austinstereo

Good separates, HK or otherwise, would likely blow this budget.

Indeed today they would. Amp alone is $2k for one that needs repaired. I figure it may have in the 70’s when I bout the 730. But I suspect the budget of 1500 is still pretty tight. MSRP on the 730 was $425.
BTW, I messaged you about the 730.