to buy or not to buy (ultrasonic record cleaner)

Hi Audiogoners,

So I have been considering investing in an ultrasonic record cleaning maching. Prob like some of you I question the ROI. So. I have a friend that purchased one and luckily he allowed me to take it for a spin (no pun intended).

I wanted to compare the results to my record cleaning system which is a Spin clean ($150) and a Record doctor record Vacuum ($300). I wont say what brand of ultrasonic cleaner I tested as not to disparage, or promote that brand publicly to be fair. if you want to know which one you can send me a private msg.

so to keep it simple I will let you judge for yourself. I have posted two pics taken with a USB microscope to my virtual systems page. Test1 and test 2. One of these pics was taken after cleaning with my system and the other with the ultrasonic cleaner

Can you tell which one is the ultrasonic??

should be intersting
barnettk
@mammothguy54 

not to get in your business but what table and cartridge are you using?
@barnettk   I recently changed from a high mass turntable, Micro Seiki, to a completely different philosophy.  I chose the latest top end unit from Rega, the Planar 10.  I had purchased a Lyra Delos cartridge for my Micro Seiki just a few months prior so I thus chose not to get the Rega cartridge and instead carried over my Delos to the Planar 10.  I have it placed on a Symposium Acoustics Ultra Platform (which is the top platform on their Foundation Rack Ultra).  I also removed the feet from the turntable and am using Symposium Rollerblock Jr HDSE.  It's a killer isolation and vibration control system.

I would say you'll find it to be about the same level of noise as most vacuum RCM.  I have my unit in a separate room from my listening room so eventually I will have a record being cleaned/dried while listening to some music.  It would be way too loud to have cleaning under way while listening to music if the machine were in the same room.  It is not a noise problem unit and is what I had expected.  Especially after having lived with a Nitty Gritty RCM for so many years.  Just too loud to use while playing music in the same room.
Also, if you do buy a used record it is wise to clean it first via a vacuum RCM and then follow with an ultra sonic cleaning.  I got that from reading up on the matter and it makes perfect sense.
@mammothguy54 

nice. Yeah I considered the Delos but opted for the Kleos instead. Can’t go wrong with Lyra. Nicely done. 
I agree on your cleaning method however once deep cleaned I should be fine to forego the vacuum. However I do agree doing both with a used record and the first cleaning. So just to be clear when I talk about record cleaning mainly my considerations are the second cleaning onwards. 
The machine like yours will be setup in a separate room than the listening room. Usually I clean on one day and listen another. Unless I’m streaming, or listening to reel. Yeah I’m still a reel to reel guy. Always have been. Always will be. Not a lot of us still in captivity lol. 
There's an extensive thread on the Hoffman board about the Degritter with a few users trying different approaches. Might be worth a look. The Degritter seems to be the best alternative right now in the made for LP one button approach. 
I use a big Monks and the KL, as mentioned. When the KL dies, I'll go full industrial. Have guys wearing orange hazard vests and those white suits, flashing blue warning lights, etc. 
Neil got me to use a UV light. It does show some stuff that you can't see by naked eye, but the visual really isn't that instructive. You can see plate out issues in the vinyl though. Some stuff is very consistent, other stuff is rather frightening. Unfortunately we have little to no info on vinyl compounding and even less control over it-- you buy what's made. While I don't necessarily like the sound of the old MoFi, that JVC super vinyl is still tops in my book. But,  a lot of the records I'm chasing were pressed at a nadir in vinyl quality in the U.S. early-mid 70s so-called spiritual or avant-garde jazz. 
$3000 for a US RCM to do one record at a time.
???????
I guess I am not the target market.
Yikes!