Funny how streaming/digital still chases that analog benchmark.

Funny how manufacturers of streaming and digital gear continues to chase that elusive analog sound. I thought digital was better?

Before you all get your panties in a wad I enjoy both Digital and Analog but much rather listen to an analog source than digital.

So today I see  Innuos Introduces The PhoenixNET – A Network Switch For Audiophiles @ only $3500.00

Guess I do not see the point you can get superior sound for say $2500 or less with a decent turntable cartridge combo and phono stage. Hell Clear Audio has an all in one for $2500.

I just don’t get it and I do not care to either.
128x128skypunk
As with many things in life, it's not that black and white (vinyl vs. digital and which is best). If you had an unlimited system budget and >= $20K for your source component budget and assuming high quality material then vinyl (IME) can be superior under these conditions. But, for the vast majority of us where your source budget is 2 - 3 $ figures digital is superior. Reason being that digital has had less than half the time vinyl has had to develop and mature so the best of the best remains vinyl however digital is catching up. Also, notice how I said vinyl and not analog since the best R2R beats the best vinyl (IME). Ultimately, it's nice to have so many choices in formats with tons of new and remastered music available, a great time to be an audiophile!
Skypunk.....nice house. I had a thorens td150 until the motor died. My speakers are audio nirvana super 15 alnico full range drivers in ported bass reflex cabs almost as big as I am. I haven't heard anything yet that tops them and I  am including Wilson audio..lol. My forever speakers.

I'll  go back to analog when I can surf from my laptop or can afford a lacky to clean and flip records for me...

go ahead and kick me to the curb for being a lazy ass
@mrbobm

But a well designed streaming system does something that neither LP’s or CD’s can do alone. Namely it allows me to quickly and easily enjoy the music on many other levels. I can for example:
1) read notes on the album
2) read a biography of the musician(s)
3)find out what other albums they have out, who they were influenced mostly by and who followed them.
4) explore related artists.
5) skip over to allmusic.com or anywhere else on the internet to enrich my experience and understanding of the music
6) tag things I want to revisit or skip or reorder my listening
etc. etc.
This is why streaming will replace both the LP and the CD
First, You have a very good vinyl playback system. I suspect your digital is among the same quality. But when I see all your distractions to listening to music it is no doubt why you prefer digital. I have both which are quite good. But when I want to do such things as you have posted, I too prefer digital. But I don't consider that listening. IMO, that is hearing music. There is a difference.

@golfmd2

When it’s our time the vast majority of us will have our record collections
old at estate sale for a fraction of their cost,

Like many I disposed of my vinyl in the 80's for cd's. When I got back into vinyl in the mid 90's, I paid  $0.10- $1.00 apiece. I have  amassed 4K. I have only bought a few since the vinyl resurgence. I've actually thought about selling mine because I'm sure I can make a large profit. But I doubt that will happen. My point is that there are quite a few that could do the same. But I agree  with you at normal purchase price. Oh, BTW. 98% of those 4K are VG+ & NM

@midareff1

If you chose to thi8nk your clicks and pops sound better and like spending time cleaning vinyl and refiling it be my guest.....

This is the absolute give away that you and all the others who say things like  "clicks and pops" are really clueless about what a good vinyl system sounds like. As to the other aspects of maintenance, you are right. Digital is convenient which is why many people like it.  But it used to be standard procedure for us vinylphiles to tell those who wanted to start into vinyl, that , if they didn't like the ritual (the dance) they would NOT like vinyl.

@bluemoodriver

To his credit he doesn’t say I’m wrong. Some of us could learn a lot from our teenagers
I had the great privilege of teaching teens many yrs ago. I DID learn a lot from them. Their idealism often will shock the older generation who's had that beaten out of them by life's experience. But they lack experience  and can only call on theory. IMO Ideals and theory is the only way to really teach in a classroom setting. Unfortunately, when experience meets theory, its often not quite as straight forward as theory had taught them. My son struggled with this about  a year after HS. Don't know how I came up with this idea about wisdom, theory & idealism but maybe it will be helpful if your son experiences the same type dilemma. He sounds like a food guy. Too bad that so many people take themselves so serious and don't know how to agree to disagree, especially about such a highly subjective issue.