Paying with a cashiers check? Need advice!

So I have a deal set up for a new to me pre here on Audiogon. The issue is the seller only wants to excepts a certified bank check. I have never paid this way before and I am a bit nervous. He says all the right things almost to much honestly. He does on the other hand have fifty some positive reviews and I talked to him on the phone as well. Which is when I got a bit more suspicious after he offered me a deal on a disk player at below half market value. He seems genuinely nice but I’m sure the best scammers do. Is there any way to get extra insurance that everything is legit? And would you guys be ok with it being he has 50 positive reviews over nearly 20 year span?  Looking forward to people thought. And thanks. 
brylandgoodman
Looking at the listing and the seller does not have feedback for the last 3 years would be a deal breaker. Another thing I noticed is the pre amp only weighs 26 lbs. A McIntosh box probably weighs 20 lbs. The weight should be at least 40/50 lbs. The $2150 price is probably the lowers a c46 has sold for. Quite a few selling around $2400.
It you send him a check and in fact he ships the preamp to you and the glass is broken. You are screwed. I sold McIntosh for years and they have to be packed perfectly to protect the glass. McIntosh has never accepted any item for repair without the correct McIntosh box for the component.All that being said, you might be saving $350 on the deal but is $350 worth al the stress you will have waiting to see if in fact you get the c46 and second it is not damaged and working.
Either use Escrow.com or Pay Pal or walk away. Not worth the stress.

Don't take one. They are not the same as cash or paypal. They van be forged and they can be cancelled; I find they're often used in scams in fact people have ot go out of their way (supposedly) to drive to a bank to cut a check when paypal, venmo are super convenient and at least Paypal is secure. After years of seeing them used in scams in retail stores I ran as well as car dealerships I view them as a red flag. 
PayPal has started providing 1099 forms to the IRS. Mine overstated my 2020 sales income significantly. Now I’m rethinking if it makes sense to exchange the convenience of PayPal with their misrepresentation of my sales income to IRS.  This may have something to do with the OP’s seller refusal to take PayPal. I don’t know anything about the seller or buyer in this case, but I wouldn’t rush to judgment.