Paying with a cashiers check? Need advice!

So I have a deal set up for a new to me pre here on Audiogon. The issue is the seller only wants to excepts a certified bank check. I have never paid this way before and I am a bit nervous. He says all the right things almost to much honestly. He does on the other hand have fifty some positive reviews and I talked to him on the phone as well. Which is when I got a bit more suspicious after he offered me a deal on a disk player at below half market value. He seems genuinely nice but I’m sure the best scammers do. Is there any way to get extra insurance that everything is legit? And would you guys be ok with it being he has 50 positive reviews over nearly 20 year span?  Looking forward to people thought. And thanks. 
brylandgoodman
I think that the OP is being paranoid and most comments have supported his paranoia. I would make the deal without sweating over it. It sounds legit, and after all, you have to trust someone sometime.
I would pass. If the seller wants to use Audiogon or other online forums he needs to be prepared to accept forms of payment which are the norm. It makes no sense that he says he is old school when he is using the internet to sell his gear. If you send a bank check you loose all the buyer protections that Paypal affords. Red flags go up immediately when I hear stories like this.
"Trust" and "transfer" are issues for buying and selling anything online. Without a trusted intermediary (like an escrow company), either the buyer or the seller must assume a weak position and be forced to trust the other party. 

Often times, escrow companies require casheir's checks to make the transaction happen faster. Also, from the seller's perspective, waiting for a personal check to clear vs accepting a cashier's check are about the same thing. 

Without transacting a lot online, it can be hard to know whether you're being overly cautious, or whether your being taken advantage of. 
I would take the chance.  The guy has a lot of transactions over the years and has been a member for over 20 years.  Drive to his house, give him the check and take the merchandise home with you. Simple.  
Post removed