Do different streamers really sound different when using an external DAC

Maybe this has been posted before but it seems that often when a post is made where someone has gotten better sound it’s because it was the streamer with included DAC that was changed, not just the streamer. No doubt a better internal DAC,  better file resolution, a better music service, will make a difference.

But I just want to see comparison of streamer to streamer with the same DAC implementation. I am currently using a Bluesound Node2i outputting via Coax into a high quality tube DAC
So here’s the million dollar question.

What have been your experiences in upgrading streamers, keeping everything else the same ie, DAC, cables, output type (Coax)? No doubt better control apps and having a display will elevate your experience but how about just sound quality. Anyone?

Thanks

128x128alvinnir2
@ianrmack
I have also looked a threads where someone is compared the bluesound to the Lumin and could not reliably tell the difference. Hard to justify the expenditure. I perhaps see where you got the idea for the WLAN device. It's recommended with the purchase of the Lumin on the Upscale Audio webpage. Then again, from my understanding, the Lumin does not have a built in wifi signal receiver so you pretty much have to use a device like this if your Lumin is not right by your modem. All this stuff can make your head spin. Time to go listen to some vinyl!

I am using a Netgear power line 1200 for my node 2i. No long wire no wifi no drop outs. By passing the dac with AQ Carbon coax into an RME ADI2 set on the nos  filter. The sound is fantastic. So good I just ordered an Audio Mirror Troubadour to add the tubes with the nos sound. Hope I like it. Going to feed that to an AR LS28se. Get a 14 day demo period on the dac. 
@knighttodd 

Be curious to hear how the  Audio Mirror Troubadour compares to the RME. Is your RME the latest fs version or previous DAC? If you end up keeping the RME, you’ll be surprised how much better it sounds with a Teddy Pardo power supply. Really takes it to another level in all areas, especially a more open stage. The finer details gets even better with a much lower noise floor. Teddy Pardo delivered will set you back $400.
Interesting that you bring up the Tubadour, it is one of the DACs I was considering to hook up to the Node 2i before I bought the Musical Paradise DAC. Being in Canada it would be an issue with customs and such to buy and return it if I didn't like it. The MP DAC fell in my lap and though it's not R2R is all tube, non oversampling, including tube rectification, built like a tank with user upgradable coupling caps. Very well reviewed on the boards and was a no brainer for me as the designer/company owner lives in my province.

That being said, a good buddy of mine who lives in the US is a retired classical musician with an outstanding audio system and a very critical ear. And he is a hardcore vinyl guy,
I turned him onto the Tubadour and he has had it for about 2 weeks and loves it. And I would expect it would even better if you rolled out the tubes Vlad puts in them.

Something like a Reflector 74/75 SWGP from the USSR would sing in it. My DAC runs 6dj8 or equivalents (same as the Tubadour) and these particular Russian Tubes walk all over the Amperex Bugle Boys I was using. I think you will love the Tubadour over the RME if you want more music and less of an analytical sound. 
Wouldn’t call the RME analytical at all unless ones system is bright to begin with. The RME is very revealing but it’s not bright or analytical. My guess is those that claim so haven’t really heard one or if they have not set up well, or were using Toslink and maybe standard Spotify or Tidal. 
I’m running my RME currently direct to a Pass X250 into Aerial Acoustics 7Bs which is far from an overly soft setup. I also own a ModWright LS36.5 preamp which is a fine preamp and the RME direct loses a little of the warmth the MW adds but makes up for it with its crystal clean refined top end and lower noise floor with extended bass slam.

Owned tube amps over the years which I enjoyed but I’ll take transparency over things being rolled off. I do currently own a tube phono preamp as well. I’m sure the Tubadour is a fine product that I have not heard, but I would not write off the RME, especially with a better power supply.