Audible wow on Well Tempered TT

My 1987 WTT/TA has been trouble free all these years.  Lately, however, I've noticed some pitch instability...test tones are not absolutely constant.  The belt is a new one from LP Gear.  Anyone have any ideas on what can cause this and how to mitigate?
crustycoot
@lewm 

Oh, and one more thing, you are seriously suggesting an e.g. 40cu compliance will only apply vertically ?!? 🤔

Looking/feeling the Ortofon M20 E super or FL super (stylus+cantilever) inserts does not convince me of that take, at all - as it is pretty 'wobbly' left to right, too to bottom... compared to the e.g. ORTOFON CADENZAS BLACK of less than half that Compliance ~ 18cu.
Michélle 🇿🇦 
I don’t know the WT decks from back then. What is the belt made of, I assume it’s not like the current WT decks’.
I had a similar problem with a Townshend Rock Mk2, which uses a round rubber belt, basically a 1/16” cross section O ring. After fitting a new belt there was speed instability noticeable on piano music. The belt was taking a set when it cooled after use. A belt direct from Townshend was the same so I ended up going back to a 10 year old belt. I’ve since replaced the Rock as my main deck but it still gets occasional use for mono, I remove the belt from the pulley when I stop it for longer than the time it takes to clamp another disc.