How to go about collecting Classical Music

At age 68 I’ve started to like Classical Music. It’s been mostly Jazz, Rock n Roll, and R&B up to now. I’m familiar with those genres, know their history, artists, and how to best and most economically acquire their recordings. Not so the Classical repertoire which covers a much longer time period and encompasses so many styles and forms.

What genres and/or periods of Classical music should I be exploring? I’m not looking for recommendations on particular composers or artists, only genres or periods. In Classical music there is orchestral music, chamber music, opera, church music and who knows what else to try out. Maybe you could advise me, if you wouldn’t mind, of some types to try? Or maybe you could recommend a book on the subject that would help a rookie get a start understanding what’s out there.

In buying classical music, for any one work, there may be innumerable recordings by various artists, orchestras and ensembles. How do you sort out which recordings you want in that respect. For example, I looked up Stravinsky’s Rites of Spring on Ebay last night to get some idea of pricing and what classical music available there. There were so many recordings of that work, I would have no idea how to sort out which would have been a good choice. Are there web sites where there are recommendations on which recordings are most exceptional? Or alternately, are there classical record labels you can rely on routinely to provide superior quality recordings? I’ve heard Deutsche Gramophone may be a reliable label for one, but that’s about it. Could you recommend any other labels to look for?

There seems to be a lot of Classical music in SACD format relative to Jazz or Rock n ’Roll. Is there some reason for that? Should SACD be the format of choice for purchasing Classical music, or is there good classical material in Redbook format to be found? I prefer to stay away from used vinyl due to condition issues, or new vinyl due to cost. I’m guessing the better dynamic range of CD’s lends itself to orchestral music. Is there any market for used classical SACD’s? Are there any sites you prefer to purchase your Classical CD’s, either new or used?

I grew up on Long Island. On one trip to midtown Manhattan I walked into an old church not too far from St. Patrick’s to view its’ magnificent stained glass window. Once inside I heard some equally magnificent classical organ being played. I discovered the church’s incredible organ was being played by some of New York City’s finest classical organists who would book time to practice on it. That large church was always deserted, and I went back many times for what amounted to free private concerts. I’d like to know what kind of music that was to try and replicate that experience to some degree at home, From what I’ve read here and elsewhere there surely is a plethora of other wonderful Classical music to explore and enjoy. Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mike

skyscraper
Frogman and Inna, your correct that understanding the history of any art form should enhance your understanding and appreciation of it. There are other forms of classical music such as (east) Indian or Persian, as Inna mentioned, so that is another aspect of music appreciation to be considered with the use of that term. I'd love to own much more of those and other forms too, but one thing at a time. Today it's European tradition Classical Music under consideration.

Lowrider, we are talking about the same set it appears, If you click on the Amazon link towards the bottom of the page you linked to above it will take you to the correct Amazon ad for the item, where it's listed temporarily out of stock via a UK source that may still have some left. DG does say the item is sold out though.

1000+ CD's is an impressive collection.

Brownsfan, thanks for the heads up your estimation of DG quality of recordings. I'm not looking to pursue any particular label, only trying to get an idea of where the safe bets or better quality may be in the classical recording realm, since I really have no idea. One other small thing, you might want to change your username so readers don't consider your judgement suspect. 

Mapman and Kr4, i guess I'll get sedated or exhilarated as the case maybe depending on what's playing. It's fun to learn about the various aspects of any type of music so that doesn't complicate or take the fun out of learning about Classical Music for me, only adds to it. Mapman, that is good news there's a lot of good material out there on the cheap. That's exactly the best way to acquire lots of varied musical content, especially in CD formats.

Mike

I'm a long-time classical music consumer/collector and I seriously regret divesting all my old vinyl.  When I see what they sell for today!  Yikes.  Anyway, my experience is that SACD recordings tend to be superior even if you just play them on a normal redbook CD player. I'm in the process of shopping for an SACD player myself, don't know what direction to go exactly because $3000 is the absolute top of my budget.  I totally agree that streaming would be a great way for you to start and there are two streaming services devoted entirely to classical music: Primephonic and Idagio.  Just starting with these myself so limited experience. Anyone know more?
Again, you'll never get a consensus but I agree completely that listening to FM radio and going to concerts is invaluable ( even though I've done neither in the past year; I also think streaming is a good idea--having never done it myself!).   Just don't worry about consistent advice; in fact,  I disagree w/ all the particular suggestions here and despise some of the recordings/performers.  NO MATTER!  That's just the way it is.  I also despise the prissy Anglophilia of the Penguin Guide.  Hate it.  That said, I used that guide a lot maybe 30 years ago.  If you listen, you'll quickly find stuff you like.  If others don't like it?  too bad!  If you don't end up with tastes that reflect, say, Music 101, so what?  Like me, you're old enough not to care.
Mike/skyscraper, I'm an organ buff and recently had A3s also, they do fine with organ music - excellent low frequencies.  I didn't find need for a subwoofer.    EASY way to get a great sampling of great CDs: if you do Amazon, search on "Cavaille Coll" who was a French organ builder.  These famous organs are often well recorded and you will generally get tons of good examples of what is to me the second best genre of organ music, from the romantic period.  The best is the organ works of Bach.  There's tons of it out there but not always great recordings or performances.  There's a complete set by Hans Fagius that is a great place to start (on BIS label).  Feel free to PM me if you ever want more info on organ recordings.
@joanathanje $3,000 is more than enough for a SACD player.

Here’s a used Krell SACD MkIII on USAudioMart for $1,600:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649702894-krell-sacd-mkiii/

It’s been upgraded at the factory and the laser mechanism replaced so it should provide you with many years of musical bliss!

About 3 years ago I bought a used Esoteric DV-50S that was 14 years old at the time. It’s still going strong. There are some very good deals on the used market if you’re patient.