What are all these metal cans/pods sitting on top of electronics?

John Darko the youtube reviewer has them on all his equipment. I see them on alot of people's electronics it's a tweak of some sort I just don't know what they are or what they do. 

Thanks,
Steve
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsjsfiveo
I’ll hazard a guess that the “mass loading” has more to do with keeping these light little boxes from being pulled from their place by connected cords.
He has stated they are just "paperweights" to keep the small stuff like streamers and DACs from moving with stiff cables. Not "mass loading" baloney.
Brass is a popular audiophile material used for damping electronics (and as footers under electronics and speakers). Brass weights with a thin cork or elastomer backing are sometimes used to reduce resonances from undamped metal chassis tops covering electronics.  Some use them on top of speakers to drive cabinet resonances to a lower frequency or to damp flimsy/thin speaker cabinets.
I’ve tried Herbies Audio Lab Stabilizers (or two stacked). Pre, DAC or ss amp, but I always end up removing them after some time. Same outcome every time; a bit more clarity and delineation but slight negative affect on soundstaging (within, not overall size) and also a slight loss of the organic flow I have... It’s a fine tuning tweak that not all systems need or can benefit from.