Tariff for used item from Canada to US

I bought a used Auralic streamer from Canadian Audiomart, got a UPS email holding the item and demanding $450 tariff. I emailed the seller, an audio shop in Canada if I could have it returned, and they said no. I paid through PayPal. The shop did mentioned it MIGHT got tariffed since its a Chinese made item. Is it fare that they refuse to take back? What would you do if you re in my shoes? The $450 tariff will make it as expensive as new in US.
128x128kfz03110
I am at a loss to understand this.  I am in the US.  For many years I have been buying electronic (and other) merchandise from foreign countries. Among these 2 cartridges, a DAC, connectors.  They have come mostly from Asia, but also from Canada and Europe.  About 5 months ago I bought a renderer/digital bridge from a private party in Canada listed on the Canadian Audiomart.  Today I received electric cable from Hong Kong. 

I have never had to pay a tariff.  Never.

I have sold to Canadian buyers and it has always been my understanding that Canadians have to pay tax, and brokerage fees unless they make arrangements, which are unavoidable.
Post removed 
Thanks for your opinions. Others be careful buying from foreign countries  in the future.
Cheers
I believe the tariff could be exclusive to equipment of Chinese manufacture due to the previous U.S. administrations trade war policies.

I bought a streamer from Hong Kong last year and it was held until I paid a tariff.