For those that use an external DAC with node 2i

Please describe the shortcomings of the node2i dac, as well as what to specifically expect to hear as an improvement with a truly better (not just different and external dac). My node seems to have what I'd call a bit dark smoothed sound. Cymbals seem a bit faint, but trying another dac that presents a more forward louder cymbal seems to sound less recessed and smoothed; thereby exchanging a bit of dark(warm?) smooth depth for more forward brighter presence that is more forward enveloping but with less depth. It's weird, because depending upon the song one may sound better than the other. I'm not sure which sound is truly more accurate, or even which one I prefer consistently, but I would like to make a choice and start listening to my music instead of critically analysing each component back-and-forth. Perhaps I'm not using enough of a drastic improvement dac, but I'd like to figure that out too. I do realize a lot of what sounds better to one person is different than what another likes, but so far, I'm leaning towards the dac where the cymbals seem louder/brighter even though it's at the expense of what seems to me to maybe be a darker smoother (illusory lower noise floor?).
Also, I was unable to level match this comparison,  so that adds another variable. The external dac I compared to the node 2i was an old parasound zdac version 1. Perhaps if I sampled a higher end dac like a denafrips or an Ayre coda, etc. I'd see what direction was better for a reference point, but if anybody here has actually done their own evaluations, I'd welcome your input, experience and perspective. Thanks.
128x128labguy
I had a well regarded Hegel DAC that was several years old that I sold when I got the Node2i. I did not discern enough of a difference between it and the internal DAC of the 2i to keep the Hegel and ultimately sold it for twice what I paid for the Node 2i.

Recently I purchased a Musical Paradise DAC that, after I upgraded the tubes and Caps, sounds way better than the internal DAC of the Node 2i.

DACs have come a long way in the last 5 years. I don't mean to knock the internal DAC of the Node 2i, it is a great unit for the money, but there is no doubt in my mind that it can be improved on. 
@jjss49 If you want to talk about value, I just bought a second TEAC NT-505 for $1200. It sounds better than any of the Node 2/DAC combinations I tried. The cheapest of those combinations would have been the node 2 and the Mytek Liberty which combined would have been over $1,500. I don't have a way to compare with the same streaming source, but the TEAC sounds better than my MHDT Labs Orchid ($1200 by itself) streaming from USB. 
@big_greg

i have not heard your teac unit... but i am sure it sounds excellent and is a terrific value

usb connection for streaming has its challenges, known for high electrical noise and jitter if not carefully implemented... i don’t know if it affected sq of the orchid in your case

i think our individual experiences can stand side and side, and offer a somewhat different perspective for those who are reading and gathering info here
you need to also think about whether you want MQA in the external DAC as that's what you have in the node
The Node 2i has a perfectly serviceable DAC, but “good enough” isn’t usually the goal. I noticed an improvement running into an Oppo BDP-105, but the Oppo is limited to 96kHz input through S/PIDF. I’m not saying the sample rate makes a huge difference but I wanted to at least have the option of running the Hi Res material that is out there. Contrary to what some people keep insisting, the Node 2i can output 24/192 over both coax and optical. So while the Oppo opened up all the buzzwords (air, articulation, detail, bass, etc.) over the Node’s internal DAC, it was close enough that I doubt I could identify which I was listening to cold, but it was obvious with an A/B comparison. So I did what most of us would do and decided to throw more money at it. Using a Chord Qutest now and my DAC is at the bottom of the upgrade list. Everything else will need marked improvement before the Qutest becomes the weak link in my system.
An external DAC is not necessary with the Node 2i, but it can definitely be worth it.