Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi all & Dj...
Just my thoughts: Your selection of cartridges is tasteful, even mouthwatering...
Generally there is only one sort of cartridges I'd rather stay away except for a wish to abuse time, like to teaching a rhinoceros to dance. This is the combination of high horizontal compliance with low damping. This means Deccas, maybe the DJ Decca (double tie-back string) mightwork - this would be highly interesting. (It's worth the hassle, but...)
Myhigh compliance B&O MMC1 (root of the Soundsmiths) works *superbly* even if it shouldn't. This is because it's  "well behaved" = damped.
The new ATs are higly interesting - I'd look maybe more for the 500 series and a Shibata tip. I read a careful review in a german journal where they hinted at a slightly more upbeat character of these vs. the more refined (aka. slightly over-civilized) 700 series. (There are technical reasons for that). They play in the league of the Ortofon Black.
The Nagaoka I don't know, the Grado might be less damped (mechanically) and a bit more characterful=" musical !!!".
The Denon and Hana seem to be winners. Specially the Denon but maybe the Hana too will profit from a 5g brass "shim" between headshell and cartridge. This worked wonders with a DL 103 in a friends Thales Simplicity arm. There are IMO no reasons to expect different on the ET2.
The lower compliance of these two MCs will make setup somehow easier specially on a springed subchassis turntable.
BTW - constant VTF isnt’t the issue of the arc-block for VTA adjustment. It is the constant (zero) overhang with different VTAs.
Increasing VTA by increasing the height of the pillar of a radial arm, the arm shortens in the horizontal plane. Thus overhang is reduced:... by 0.5 mm for a 9" arm with a change in VTA of 3.8 degrees... which IMO is close to academical... :-)
The VTF varies with height if the counterweight is "underhung" or "overhung". Ie. if the centers of gravity of arm tube / cartridge and the counterweight "connect" below or above the horizontal bearing. This is the case with most univipots and strongly with the Well Tempered arms.
What is special with the ET2 is that one can perfectly balance this (if one wants to and knows what to do :-).
@ct0517 

End of November 2020 I was having my Sota Saphire restored by Sota.  Since I had the ET2 removed (before I shipped table), I called ET; I was checking in to see if there was any other maintenance / updates that I should have done by ET.  A gentleman responded, not Bruce.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Bruce is working (maybe retired?) with ET anymore. The gentleman said ET focusing only on speakers now; I think I recall him saying the machining was just too labor intensive so they are just focusing on speakers.  I don't even think they are doing any more service work.  Not sure about parts, but I suspect they are selling off whatever non speaker products/parts related to arms left in inventory...as mentioned on their website re. buying an ET2.5.
@stuogawa 

FWIW I contacted the main email last week about a missing VTA lever and Bruce (or at least somebody with Bruce's email and signature) responded.
@stuogawa @djspinner  et al 

Bruce is around. He just responded to my email.  

Chris,

Yes, we can still perform service on the ET-2 and parts, I hope this
helps - brucet

With that. 
We all recognize that Bruce will not be around forever, but this tonearm IMO is indestructible. I mean, if its disassembled in parts in its box, and you accidentally leave it on the driveway and run it over, that's one thing. Barring an accident it will outlive all of us. Its biggest threat is moisture in the air line and minerals deposits, that can land on the manifold blocking air flow and movement. Even then the ET2 manual can be downloaded and does a great job of explaining how to clean it. Unlike mechanical bearings that go dry and stiff, if you have a good trap for moisture there is nothing really to do except maybe keep it covered when not used for protection against dust. Pumps are easily replaced. JMO