I was going to give my son a system, with brand new Solid Steel rack but he has AirPods???

AirPods and iPhones have replaced good 2 channel audio, it's criminal. They don't buy albums, CDs, or even the full album downloads. They've replaced my old 45s with mp3s.
I got him a Solid Steel rack and I can't return it, so what do I do? Sell it on eBay for local pickup or wait for him to get smart. You would think a mechanical engineer wants a Scoutmaster and a beautiful really well designed audio rack. I get he doesn't necessarily want my old Rotel amp and preamp, but I have a set of B&W CM2s on stands and he could get himself a home theater integrated amp and use the system to watch Movies at the least.
Where have we gone wrong?
128x128ctwith3
Thank you Frogman.
My son has been to the N.Y. Philharmonic, but I couldn't get him to the operas (no surprise there); he himself has played and competed on the state local, regional and state levels and scored extremely high.
He loves a lot of good classic rock and a little classical. He's into the indie bar scene and listens to a lot of alternative music on Spotify. I told him I'm saving the equipment a while for him in case he changes his mind. The rack I have to sell because it's still in the box and it will go down in value, whereas the other equipment has kind of plateaued in value At not much at all.
Post removed 
I have my AirPods in my ears a hell of a lot more than I sit down and listen to my system to be honest. A few hrs a day listening to podcasts and watching videos on YouTube. I don’t think they mutually exclusive. I guarantee if he can hear a good system he will prefer it when he has time to take it in. But AirPods are very convenient!!!  Wireless earbuds!  Fantastic. Never would have imagined it even 10 years ago. 
Yeah I completely agree with this as it's all about fashion and best mens watches $5000 really assisted me in getting fashionable stuff as well like trendy devices.
My daughter just bought Airpods.  Gave a quick listen yesterday.   Not bad.   Very convenient.   I wish they were around when I was a kid.