Reference Transports: An overall perspective

Teajay did a great job by starting a threat called "Reference DACS: An overall perspective."
I thought it might be beneficial to start a similar thread on transports.
Unfortunately I really have nothing much to say; I just hoped to get the ball rolling.

I'll start by throwing out a few names and a question:

Zanden 2000
CEC TL-0X
Metronome Kalista; T2-i Signature; and T2-A
Esoteric P-01; and P-03(?)
EMM Labs CDSD
47Labs PiTracer
Weiss Jason
Accustic Arts Drive 1
Ensemble Dirondo
Wadia 270se

I know that there are very few companies that actually make the drives themselves. The few I know about are:
Philips
TEAC
Sanyo/CEC

Do the various Philips drives or the TEAC VRDS transport mechanism each have a particular sonic signature regardless of which maunufacturer uses them in their designs?
exlibris
I have had in my rig the following transports: 1) CEC-TL1 It sounded wonderfully smooth with great liquidity but lacked dynamics and deep bass. 2) ML-31.5 Very detailed, dynamic, great bass, and was very smooth but not warm sounding like the CEC transport. 3) Ensemble Dirondo Offers very good details/dynamics with a smooth/easy over all sonic signature. It also offers an interesting feature that it will upsample to 24/96 the bit stream before it gets to the DAC, which sometimes will improve the sonics of the DAC, even if the DAC is an upsampling design.
So, I'm convinced that transports do have sonic signatures, and that belt driven transports have a different signature, I also have heard extensively the CEC TL-0, then the non belt transports.
Don't forget the Empirical Audio modded Sony DVP7700. Yes, it's a modified DVD player, but the jitter signature is one of the lowest you will see, and after mods it is a true worldbeater. Built like a tank with a true copper chassis too.

Enjoy,
Bob
As Khaki8 mentions, Audio Note has a new line of transports in the process of being developed and released. It includes three new units - the CDT Two II which has been out for a few moinths, the CDT Three which is just out (according to Peter Q), and the CDT Four which will be released later this year. I think they all use a new Philips Pro mechanism, but I don't know a model number.

I use an original CDT Two, and I'm investigating the Three for use with my AN DAC. I suspect the Four will be pretty spendy.
Hi there,

They definitely contribute to the sonic signature..they are fundemental to it!

My favourite transports (that i own) are all proprietary. They are also some of the best ever:

1. Sony CDP-R10 (less than 100 made for sony top brass)
2. Victor XL-Z900 (Harmonix Reimyo 777)
3. CEC TL-1
4. Denon DP-S1
5. Esoteric DV-50S

Would love to hear the Esoteric X-01....i will dream for a year i think.

I'm simplifying down now...just a transport running into a TACT TDA2200 digital amp....works wonders.

I also heard the new TACT CD1 is an amazing machine...

Enjoy!!! the music!!!

Richard
"The interesting little feature" (upsampling in the transport) that Teajay mentions on the Ensemble Dirondo Drive, also eliminates the need for a "clock sync" cable. This seperate "clock sync" is something that is found on some of the best (at least to my ears) digital combos.

Note that I'm an Ensemble dealer.
Mike