HOW MUCH DO NON-AUDIO FACTORS INFLUENCE YOUR AUDIO PURCHASES?

I think most audiophiles would like to think it's all about the sound, but for me there's often many factors not related specifically to sound quality, that play a big part when deciding what audio component to buy.  Perceived build quality, brand name reputation, specs, even things mostly related to appearance can have a big influence.  I have for years, pursued matched, one-brand systems and seemingly can not be truly content with my two-channel rig otherwise, regardless of the performance or build quality of specific components.  I sometimes think the whole process is, for me, more an exercise in obsessive behavior than a rational pursuit of a logical outcome.  So how about you?   Any tales of audiophilia nervosa  you'd be willing to share? 
jdmccall56
Hello,
I think this is the ultimate puzzle. I know there are companies that manufacture the whole system from the wall to the speaker. Two problems occur. It’s out of most people’s price range or there is a weak link. My preamp and DAC are Emotiva, but I do not like
The sound signature of the amps. There is usually a weak link even at the higher end companies. I do not care about the looks as much as the sound. I have black and silver components. I too love the sound of my system. If I find a product that sounds better I try to squire it. If it makes it the same or worse it goes back to the store. I have had $16,000 integrated amps in my house that do not sound as good as my amp and preamp. 
There are lots of great sounding components, and lots of different price points. Obviously, sound is important but all things being equal, I'm likely to buy the one whose looks appeal to me. I'll also consider the brand reputation, build quality and size constraints. If it's used, I'll consider the condition and perceived value relative to its age and original MSRP.
I don't know if anyone here watches Andrew Robinson's "Recovering Audiophile" videos or not, but I kind of feel like he does when he states that it's hard to find a/v gear today that isn't quite good (I paraphrase).  Yes, there remain potential issues of compatibility, but even those are pretty easy to navigate with just a little education, which leaves non-audio factors to assume more importance in the decision making process. 

But...I may be on irrational extreme of that viewpoint, in that such relative minutia as the color of the LED's or the color and style of the footers on the component can take on way too much importance.  But I do tend to believe that other than with transducers, there is not much significant audible difference in the sound of properly functioning audio gear when it is used properly and within it's linear limitations.  But then, I traded my tin-foil hat for a pair of tin ears long ago.