Stereo systems are like Harleys

You'll never see two exactly alike. They are an expression of the owners ideas on design and performance, usually within the construct of a budget. Often put together over time with new and used parts.

I love that about this hobby. How boring would it be if we all had the same ideas of how a system should sound or look?

When you go to any kind of a rally, be it a poker run, charity ride or whatever.... it's customary to just walk around, checking out other peoples rides and chatting it up. It's a great way to meet people and have fun. Oddly, those bikers who's stigma is to be rowdy and obnoxious, are the nicest people I've met. Never once have I ever heard comments like DUH you should done this or that with your bike. Everything and everybody is accepted as is.

Perhaps some folks around here could learn a thing or two from the bikers. 

treynolds155
I've had a bike on and off for 35 years, my last was a Dynaglide that had for over 10 years but sold it just over a year ago. I'm eying a Sport Glide now. Nice looking Softail, love the springer front end. 

So you guys get the whole Harley/stereo thing. Everyone is unique and that's what makes it so cool!!

Audio Research gear is on my bucket list, mid to late 80s I was into Threshold and Theta. 
My sound systems have never marked their spot, or enjoyed riding in the back of a pick-up, as did my dogs and '53 Pan (on rare occasion).                                                                Nor have I ever seen a shirt, proclaiming, "I Own An Accurate Sound System, NOT Just a T-shirt!"                                                                                                                                          One similarity: If anyone had to ask WHY I own either: they (obviously) wouldn't understand!

I am more old school. I am not a fan of all the electronics in the new bikes. Just seems like more to go wrong. I don't even have fuel injection, my bike has a carburetor. Though I did upgrade it to a smooth bore Mikuni. I will say that the Twin cam was one of the most reliable engines Harley ever designed. I have not had any trouble with it in all the time I owned my bike. Just regular maintenance and a new battery. And it still starts right up every time.

Back in the late 1980's I listened to everything I possibly could. I lived in Chicago then and there were plenty of audio stores. When I heard a Audio Research classic 60 I was hooked. It was so much better than anything else I heard. I have had Audio Research ever since. I have had other stuff in my system from time to time, but I always sell it and go back to Audio Research.

I hear ya on the electronics, but there's no going back. My Twinkie gave me no issues either mechanically, just fuel injection problems.  

I've settled on Mcintosh for now, pretty happy with it for the time being. My bucket list keeps growing though. 
Ha.   Thank God I don't have to spend as much time replacing tubes, bad solder joints, broken switches, bad wiring, stripped bolts, valves, pistons on my system as I had to on my '67 stock XLCH.