MHDT Orchid TUBE ROLLING

Interested in hearing about tube rolling experiences with the Orchid and other MHDT dacs, namely, the specific comparative sonic characteristics of the various 396a, 5670 and other compatible tubes used in the output buffer. My only experience is with the WE396a that Linear Tube Audio installed in my new Orchid.
pmboyd

after reading all the info on the mhdt I borrowed a friend’s solid state Constantine and went out and bought the Orchid

your sixmoons review and this hilarious review of multiple mhdt dacs where very helpful

http://www.basshead.club/mhdt-labs-pagoda-stockholm-atlantis-and-canary/

I picked The Orchid -  a gorgeous schoolteacher. Sophisticated, tempting, and, romantic.

I just started breaking in the dac 4 days ago.

My friend found me some NOS Heintz and Kaufman 2C51 gammatrons

just breaking one of them in

thanks to everyone

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I thought I’d share a report on my tube swap, which was inspired by landing here through a search.

I lived with my recently acquired Orchid for several weeks with the supplied GE 5670, but after discovering this thread I was inspired to try some tubes from the 6922 family. I ended up with a Siemens A-frame E88CC (using the Garage1217 adapter which works great). The Orchid sounded nice enough with the GE 5670, but the Siemens created a shocking improvement. At the risk of sounding like a generic audio review (but all true), what I’m hearing is a greatly expanded and precise soundstage, previously unheard air in voices, and elements in recordings that I had no idea were there (for example, the birds singing in the intro section of the Latin Playboys track Lemon n’ Ice). Bass is very good with no exaggerated plumpness.

The only caution is that the Siemens tube is taller than the 5670, and with the added height of the adapter it protrudes through the hole in the top of the case, maybe 5/8" or so.

I’m listening mostly to TIDAL Masters via the TIDAL app on a MacBook Pro. If anyone is curious, associated components are a Simaudio Moon SE integrated, ProAc AC 100’s (bi-wired), Schitt USB cable, Audience interconnects and PowerChord, and Mapleshade speaker wire.
I considered the garage 1217 adapter 5670 to 6922 couple months ago. I also hear some using a 5670 to 6sn7 adapter. Anyone try the 6sn7 in the MHDT. I have a lot of 6922's but even more of the 6sn7's. I'm going to order the 6922 and 6sn7 adapter after reading this and see what happens, hopefully nothing is going to burst into flames.
I tried the 6sn7 adapter with my stock Orchid and didn't care for it. I think it was grannyring that suggested you need to do some other upgrades for that to be worthwhile. 
I considered the garage 1217 adapter 5670 to 6922 couple months ago. I also hear some using a 5670 to 6sn7 adapter. Anyone try the 6sn7 in the MHDT. I have a lot of 6922’s but even more of the 6sn7’s. I’m going to order the 6922 and 6sn7 adapter after reading this and see what happens, hopefully nothing is going to burst into flames.

nothing will burst into flames... the 6sn7 adapter from garage 1217 is a quality piece, and it is fun to try many 6sn7 variants old and new... lovely sound, very airy, can roll tubes to achieve euphonic coloration or drive and transparency

significantly more variation is sq from various 6sn7’s than 6dj8s (via that adapter) and much more than 2c51/5670’s which has a narrow field of choice

just know that in all these tubes, we are talking dual triodes in a single tube - each channel runs though one side of the tube, so reasonable internal triode balance is important