About to invest in room treatments; GIK, RealTraps, DIY -- what is your experience?

I'm reaching the point soon where I'll invest in some treatments for my two channel listening room. Standmount speakers with tube amps. Room about 28x14ft with low ceilings, 6.5ft. Probably different kinds of treatments are needed. I'm not exactly sure yet what I'll need or how much to spend. This is not my final listening room, but I won't be able to configure another one for a few years.

I've seen many people tout GIK on this forum and I'm already communicating with them a bit. I will also reach out to Real Traps and possibly others. I do not feel bound to go with just one company or solution, so if you've mixed and matched, I'm curious about that, too.

Any recent comparisons between these two, or others? Do you have stories of good or not so good products or service? Any comments about the value of competing products? I'm not super handy or have a lot of free time, but DIY is also considered. 

128x128hilde45
I've used GIK Acoustics twice for two different homes over the last 12 years.  Good advice/service, highly effective products at very reasonable prices.  Their business is booming right now, so you may have to wait 8 weeks, like I did, to take delivery.
GIK requires full payment on standard production items, while making you wait 8-10 weeks....even for a several thousand dollar order!  The actual production of the product takes about 2 days.  No partial deposit allowed.  Of course, GIK has required full payment up front for years, but the wait used to be about 2-3 weeks.  You'd think with a $54M annual revenue and exceptionally long wait times, they'd modify this policy.  

OTH, RealTraps makes a better product with a three-week wait, so there are choices available.  

Finally, don't use dense/rigid foam products for early reflections/side wall applications; they do not perform well for that application.  Instead, choose a medium weight, medium density, minimum 6" product such as Knauf Ecobatt.
@nolojunko is correct regarding the long lead-times and paying up front with GIK, however, from a value standpoint, GIK's products sell for roughly half the price that RealTraps do... so not necessarily an apples to apples comparison.   I've heard nothing but good things about RealTraps products... I just didn't want to pay more (2x) when I know from past experience that GIK's products are effective and a better value for me.
@audio2design
I have had a mic and REW for 7 months and have done hundreds of measurements. I thought I mentioned that, but I agree with you that this is an absolutely necessary prerequisite to spending money on the room.

@pdreher Thanks for the head's up about wait times for GIK. Will probably try to confirm about wait times. Others have suggested others, here, too, such as ATS Acoustics. That may be a good solution, too

@rbstehno  good rec's. thanks.

@midareff1 thanks for your experience report. nice room!

@martinb Glad to hear of good experiences with GIK. I will send them a scan, I'm sure.

@hornps Good to hear from someone with a similar ceiling height. Dennis Foley said to me, "Worst ceiling height I've ever encountered in 20 years. Find another room." Good to hear about GIK.

@nagel Good to hear your story, too. Thank you.

@nolojunko I have not started treatment at all. I have been doing analysis for 6 months (learning) especially focused on 20hz-300hz only, because bass is most important to figure out, first. I've optimized LP and Speakers. Working on scans with sub(s).
I've heard good reports about RealTraps, too, and they're on my list.
I had not heard of Knauf; not against simple building project, and agree about complicated corner traps -- too much for my schedule/abilities. I suppose you're not warning against OC 703 in your comment about "dense/rigid foam" or are you? Now sure what they're best called.
+1 on ASC tunable traps. Movable, tunable available in multiple colors and if you want to resell, you’ll do fine. I have 4 and also had room analyzed and treated with Artnovion panels - absorption and diffusion. They are absolutely beautiful, if that’s a consideration for you. Definitely treat ceiling to eliminate slap echo. Good luck