High end Class D amps?

Just an observation and a question. Are there 'high end' Class D amps out there that are just as good as Class A, A/B amps? I realize that's a sensitive question to some and I mean no disrespect---but whenever I see others' hifi systems on social media, all of the amps are A or A/B. There's always Pass, McIntosh, Moon, Luxman, Accuphase, etc. Where are the Class Ds? For folks out there that want more power for less efficient speakers and can't afford the uber expensive Class As, A/Bs, what is there to choose from that's close to those brands? Thanks
bluorion
I am VERY happy I did not finalize my position on class D and hold it inviolable over the past 15 years. I saw no reason to form an absolute resistance, as though it could not be developed over time. Participating in the process of assessment as it has developed has been fun, and now is nothing short of thrilling. 

@douglas_schroeder Yes, all technologies follow a price/performance curve. Class D was first proposed in the 1950s but really didn't get going until the late 1990s. These early amps were at the bottom of the curve. The curve itself usually follows the same shape: sort of like a stylized 'S' (called a 'Sigmoid') where the cost (horizontal axis) goes up quickly while the performance does not. But after a while it starts to get figured out, then the performance goes up rapidly while the cost is minimal. Then as the technology matures the curve reverts to its original slope; incremental improvement for lots of money to develop it.

If I had to guess, it appears that we are nearing the top knee of the Sigmoid curve. 10 years ago we weren't there.

5 years ago we realized we needed to be taking class D seriously. We're known for making very transparent tube amplifiers- not the usual sort to be messing with class D. But in November a year ago we were awarded a patent in the field. A smaller player like us usually has troubles doing that in a field of mature technology. That is why I say the technology is nearing or just past the upper knee of the Sigmoid curve.

I can't help respecting and admiring douglas_schroeder's intelligent approach of reserving final judgement on class D and atmapshere's intelligence, experience, knowledge and strange preoccupation with the upper knees of Sigmoid curves.  
     Whatever floats your boat, right?

Tim